What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Embarrassingly stupid 'Subtract front shape' issue

KLarsen

I am following this basic tutorial for subtracting a shape from another shape and this happened when I clicked 'Subtract front shape' - I have some intermediate experience with PS but now I just feel stupid :seenoevil: I want the result to be like in the tutorial....

This is how it looks before I click "Subtract front shape' in Paths to the right. At this point, 'Combine shapes' is selected.
dfhdFe9.png
Then I click 'Subtract front shapes':

y8zHrWm.png

Last edited:

PRESTON

I tried the tutorial and it works fine for me
did you select the 2 shapes before using substract from shape?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi KLarsen
This issue is that you were using the little icon command in the Properties panel which is doing Path subtract instead of the dropdown under Layers which is a Shape subtract
That is my best guess at the moment and can duplicate your issue exactly. If you use the Layers dropdown and "Combine Shapes" command you don't have the issue.
Go figure
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT: It will make more sense if you open up the Paths Panel and look at the thumbnails of what is being subtracted there

KLarsen

Hi KLarsen
This issue is that you were using the little icon command in the Properties panel which is doing Path subtract instead of the dropdown under Layers which is a Shape subtract
That is my best guess at the moment and can duplicate your issue exactly. If you use the Layers dropdown and "Combine Shapes" command you don't have the issue.
Go figure
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT: It will make more sense if you open up the Paths Panel and look at the thumbnails of what is being subtracted there
Thanks! I tried the Layer --> Combine Shapes-way and it worked.

thebestcpu

Guru
You're welcome and I learned something new too. As an aside, if you use those Shape Combine operations a lot, you can assign each their own Keyboard Shortcut.