What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally did it

hershy314

Guru
As of January 6th 2016 I am done with school. I'm now a graduate from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh online, with as associates in Graphic Design. I'm now trying to put together a portfolio that show cases my best work. Problem is I don't have much to show. They do offer things like help with portfolios and finding work, even if it's working from home. Problem is I've been working towards getting my SSI which could be a problem if I start working again. But this kind of work I'm sure I can do, and I think would pay more. I don't know what I'm going to do. All I know is I can't do the kind of work that I used to do.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
As of January 6th 2016 I am done with school. I'm now a graduate from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh online, with as associates in Graphic Design. I'm now trying to put together a portfolio that show cases my best work. Problem is I don't have much to show. They do offer things like help with portfolios and finding work, even if it's working from home. Problem is I've been working towards getting my SSI which could be a problem if I start working again. But this kind of work I'm sure I can do, and I think would pay more. I don't know what I'm going to do. All I know is I can't do the kind of work that I used to do.

Congratulations for your achieving this milestone.

Take it a step at a time. Along the way, you'll figure things out...

gedstar

Guru
Congratulations Hershy
I remember school but that was a long long long time ago
All the best for the future :thumbsup:

Ged

inkpad.t

Guru
Congratulations, Something I could never do, and now to old to attempt to do, I went to school in horse and cart back when i started, PC'S were not even a twinkle in any ones eyes back then. Come to think of it i bet some hear went on the back off a dinosaur, :rofl:.. just kiding to old ones. but again Congratulations too you. And :giggle:for you.

Tom Mann

Guru
Congratulations from me, as well.

With respect to building your resume and you portfolio, why don't you think about volunteering your services at some place like:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org

If I remember correctly, I believe the guy that runs it is Dave Ellis. If you are accepted as a volunteer there, it is clear to anyone that you met their rather stringent requirements, which, in itself can be put on your resume. In addition, volunteering for them will give you both more experience, and if you get permission, a source of before-after images for your portfolio.

Similarly, you could also see if any of the commercial portrait retouching services would take you on as a freelancer. Again, at minimum it's another item to put on your resume, and the work that you would do as a portrait retoucher would be wildly different from the type of PP work Ellis' operation does.

With respect to your photography, that's a hard nut to crack these days because the new, automated digital cameras make it relatively easy for anyone to get technically competent photos, so the competition you will face is high. Think about getting pix published in your local paper or the local TV news. You will face less competition in a local market. Start by attending local events (eg, sports, civic, etc.) and quickly sending the local paper a few pix from each. You can also monitor the police / fire frequencies and try to get pix of accidents and other major problems in your area and get the pix to your local paper or TV station in minutes, i.e., before anyone else beats you.

Just some ideas ...

Tom M

Last edited:

hershy314

Guru
Congratulations from me, as well.

With respect to building your resume and you portfolio, why don't you think about volunteering your services at some place like:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org

If I remember correctly, I believe the guy that runs it is Dave Ellis. If you are accepted as a volunteer there, it is clear to anyone that you met their rather stringent requirements, which, in itself can be put on your resume. In addition, volunteering for them will give you both more experience, and if you get permission, a source of before-after images for your portfolio.

Similarly, you could also see if any of the commercial portrait retouching services would take you on as a freelancer. Again, at minimum it's another item to put on your resume, and the work that you would do as a portrait retoucher would be wildly different from the type of PP work Ellis' operation does.

With respect to your photography, that's a hard nut to crack these days because the new, automated digital cameras make it relatively easy for anyone to get technically competent photos, so the competition you will face is high. Think about getting pix published in your local paper or the local TV news. You will face less competition in a local market. Start by attending local events (eg, sports, civic, etc.) and quickly sending the local paper a few pix from each. You can also monitor the police / fire frequencies and try to get pix of accidents and other major problems in your area and get the pix to your local paper or TV station in minutes, i.e., before anyone else beats you.

Just some ideas ...

Tom M

The thing is I didn't go to school for photography, that's just something I did for fun. I went to school for Graphic Design. Looking back I probably should of went for a degree in Photography, but from what I read I didn't have anything I would of needed back then. All I had back then when I started school was a cheap point and shoot. I've thought bout going back to get a degree in Photography, but if I continued at this school I'd have to replace everything except the tripod and buy a bunch of stuff I don't have. Around $3k-5k worth of stuff, used. I'd like to, but can't afford it. I do like what you had to say though.

hershy314

Guru
Now that I'm done with school I have to think of what to do next. This is harder than I thought. I live in a small town, closest big town is about an hour away. If I want to go to an even bigger town then I have to travel for a little over 3 hours away. In the town I live in, there is no real need for a someone with the degree I have. There are a few places that offer Graphic Design services, but they aren't hiring. I checked. So I have two options. 1) Become a freelancer and hope I can find work that way. or 2) Move to an area where I could possibly find work at a company. I do like the idea of both. Freelance gives me more freedom and I can work from home. Working for a company I wouldn't have as much freedom, but at least I know that I wouldn't have to sit for days, weeks or even months between jobs. Also I'd be back into my own place. Any words of wisdom?