What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble with replacing a color in an image

sheeshshe1

Hi Guys! New here and this is my first question. :) I am taking one picture for a product picture for my cart. I am making them 8 different colors of the same image. I've been using the color replacement tool. I've been able to color 6 of the 8 colors.... Lime, light blue, natural, Yellow, pink, and lavender. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do the magenta and the chocolate brown. No matter what I have tried, the colors don't turn out right. The chocolate turns out a light beige and the magenta a light pink. I'm sure it has something to do with the darker colors being put on a lighter color, but how to do I fix that? I know it can be done because Ive had someone do it for me before (paid them). I'm just trying to learn how to do it myself. The color image I was using was a light blue color and all those colors I've listed above worked beautifully, except for the magenta and chocolate brown.

Thank you, I appreciate your help

try making the image white then over lay the color you want that might help

You are welcome to upload the image here as an attachment so we may take a look and try to help you.

HookChocolate.jpg
HookMagenta.jpg
bronzesnapsvelcro.png

OK, so I am trying to make the blue diaper into a magenta diaper and the blue again into a brown diaper.

and the what? it seems your post got cut short?

Solid color adjustment layer, top image blend mode hard light. Bottom image, blend mode color. Difference blend modes yield difference results. You could also use hue/saturation adjustement layer set to colorize.

OK, see so none of those the colors match the original color. I know it can happen though because the girl who did those for me made that magenta one from a butter yellow colored one. I gave her one butter yellow colored diaper and gave her pictures of all the other colors. she managed to get them all correct colorwise. but what gives?

I wasn't trying to match anything, I only posted those as examples. If you want to match an exact color you have to alter the color, blend mode, opacity, etc. on the adjustment layer to get what you need.

Solid color adj layer, color mode hard light. I did this pretty fast so it isn't perfect, but if you play with a bit...

OK, so please forgive me. I am new at this :) Did you adjust the color in the hard light thing? or did you use the color replacement tool? I've been usign the color replacement tool, but when I go to do that it won't let me because it is an adjustment layer? and I'm not sure where to find the solid color thing. maybe that is what I did wrong?

Click the adjustment layer icon on the layers palette. Choose solid color, and select the color. Change the blend mode to hard light. As this is an adjustment layer you will need to paint out areas you don't want affected on the layer mask with black.

You can adjust the color as needed, dbl-click the layer to open up the color picker.

ahhhh... thank you! that totally works! OK, so at what point do I paint out with black? do I have to do a special layer for that and then get rid of the black later? sorry for so many questions :) I'm learning as I go :) I really do appreciate it!

The layer mask is part of the solid color adj layer (on the right), click the mask in the layers palette to activate (it will have a white line around it when active). Use a black brush to hide, a white brush to reveal.

I have CS3... is this the same in CS3? I just can't seem to figure out where it is what you're saying.

and now I feel like I"m being a pain.

Click the layer mask on the layers palette. It will have a white line around it when it is active. Now when you paint on the image with black it will hide, and white will reveal what is on that layer. In this case it is a solid color.
You are obviously new to Photoshop. I recommend to everyone new that they go to the library and get a book on PS. A book on any version will do to learn the basics.

Click the layer mask on the layers palette. It will have a white line around it when it is active. Now when you paint on the image with black it will hide, and white will reveal what is on that layer. In this case it is a solid color.
You are obviously new to Photoshop. I recommend to everyone new that they go to the library and get a book on PS. A book on any version will do to learn the basics.

I did it! thank you!!!

magentavelcrocopy.jpg

Back