What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with font effect

mhlarsen

First time post from Photoshop newbie :hi:
I have seen several videos on YouTube showing how to create font effects like drop shadows, pop shadows and so on.
I am trying to create a font effect as shown in the picture using the most "simple and efficient" method, but the results are not good.
Can any one help creating an effect as shown in this picture?
The font used are closely related to the fonts Amarillo USAF and Airborne Pilot.

Font effect.jpg

Thanks
Michael

fredfish

Guru
Something like this?

michael.jpg

If so I will post method

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
OK here is what I did

• First of all I typed M I C H A E L in the desired font
  • Then I right clicked on the layer and selected "Rasterise Text"
  • Then I duplicated the layer and moved it below the origional layer
  • Then I clicked on the duplicated layer and used the key command Ctrl + Alt + T - This is the same as Transform but starts the step and repeat process.
  • Once selected I used the curser keys to move the layer 1 pixel right and 1 pixel down and then clicked on the tick to confirm
  • Then use the key combination Shift + Ctrl + Alt + T to repeat the movement - I did this about 8 times and you end up with 8 new layers, each shifted 1 pixel right and 1 pixel down
  • Then select all of the new layers by clicking on the topmost of the new layers and the shift clicking on the bottom of the new layers
  • Right click on these and select merge layers (Make sure you haven't got the origional layer selected)
  • On the newly merged layer select fx and choose Color overlay and set the color to grey

And there you have it.

Have a look at this (very poor) video to view the process in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Z3aq_S5X8&feature=youtu.be

It is easier to do than to describe :cheesygrin:

Let me know if you have problems.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru