What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with large banner file

bjfoster

Hi everyone,
I created a design for my fraternity's new rush banner we need to have made. It's going to be 10ft x 8ft. I originally sent the design scalled down to 1000pixels x 800 pixels. The gentleman working with us replied that I must send him the image scalled down at 350 dpi or in real size at 72dpi. After changing the resolution to 350 pixels per inch (I'm assuming that means dpi), I tried scaling it up just to make sure everything looked correct. *The problem is though that when scaled up to 120in X 96in, the text as well as edges of the colors have a haze around them. Will this come out when printed? Or is there a way to fix it??

Thanks for the help!

attached is the image scalled at 1000px by 800px and 350 dpi. Blow it up and you'll see what I'm talking about. Thanks again!
champion_new.jpg

I just saw another thread while browsing that said even if printed at 72 dpi it will be blurry? Is this true, maybe the image needs to be in real size at 300-350dpi?

How was the image created? Anything that large it should be a vector graphic.

I just created in photoshop. The flag and the silhouette were images I got from google and magic wand copied them over. I'm not the most experienced with photoshop as you call can tell :redface:

Long story, short. 1000 X 800 is not nearly enough pixels to blow up that large. That size would yield about 8 pixels per inch, which is not going to look good unless perhaps it was viewed from a very long distance.

In a way, what hawkeye mentioned would be allright.... the banner will be viewed by people around the stadium. It's no use creating it at a higher resolution at the exact size needed.....

Doing so, you end up with one gigantic 2 gig file.

If you've seen big billboard ADS up close, the image is composed of probably dime size dots......

Back