What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Masks

Mark Stanger

I need to make some graphics that are a little hard to describe, but I'll do my best. I have some black and white icons that are kind of "Clip art" of an eye, ear, etc. I'd like for those to become masks in different landscape images that I have. But Instead of just seeing the icon and nothing else, I'd like for it to just be the clearest inside of that icon, but darker/fuzzier everywhere else- essentially the icon will pop out of the picture, but we wont' lose the rest of the picture. I can't find any images on google that do exactly what i want probably because I don't know what to call the effect.
masked text.jpeg
Here's a mask that's doing what I want, but not. I'd like instead of white where the letters are not, that the image would still be there in the background, just less emphasized than where the text is.
Am I making any sense? Can anyone help me achieve this effect?
Thanks,
Mark

Rich54

Guru
I think you could achieve what you want by inverting the mask. In your Hawaii example above, let's assume that the ocean photograph is your background layer. Use the "HAWAII" text to create a selection, and then invert that selection. With the inverted selection activated, you can create a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to darken everything in the background except the portion that spells HAWAII. Or, using that same inverted selection, you can create a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to desaturate the background or change it's color. The inverted selection lets you do pretty much anything you want and it will only affect the areas outside of the HAWAII text.

MrToM

Guru
You could also try this more simple way too...

Image is background layer...
On top of that have a solid white layer...
On top of that, the text...
Make a marquee from the text and then turn the text layer off.
Select the white layer and hit delete.
Change the white layer opacity to taste...

I think that would do it although I'm not totally convinced I understood exactly what the OP wants.

Regards.
MrTom.

Mark Stanger

Thanks for the responses- I think Rich has me on the right track.
Here's my first crack at it-
eyeconcept small.jpg
How would I go about separating the layers a bit? So that the eye bevels into or out of the background?
Thanks, Mark

Rich54

Guru
One way to make the eye stand out is to add a stroke to it. Make a selection of the eye. Then, on a new layer above it, go to Edit>Stroke, which brings up a window asking you to choose the color and pixel thickness of the stroke.

Another option is to make a selection of the eye. Go to Edit>CopyMerged; Edit>Paste. This will create a new layer of only the eye, but will include the background image within it. On this layer, add a Bevel/Emboss, or perhaps just a drop-shadow to make the eye appear to float above the background.

Mark Stanger

Hey- nice! So how would I get my "eye" to stand out like you did with your text? With the inverse selection thing i can do stuff to the layer but when I make the layer go away so does the fx.
Oops- now I see what Rich is posting... gonna go try this!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was just using a clipping mask on the text layer. This way the FX stay intact.

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 5.14.47 PM.png

You can add the drop shadow....

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 5.17.40 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
Thanks TonyCooper that's exactly how I interpreted the question too....but apparently its nothing like what the OP wanted.

Our Crystal balls must be a little hazy....ho hum.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
I do get a touch of that now and again yes.......I have to open a window.

Regards.
MrWindy.