What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I access the thumbnail/preview image of a PSD file?

face256

Hey guys I need help trying recover anything i can from a corrupted PSD file. What happened was I saved my work and closed photoshop and hit the reset button on my PC afterwards by mistake (i dont see why this caused a problem because the program was fully closed at the time). When I open the file now it says it uses an unsupported blending mode, if i press ok I get an error saying incompatible PS version, if I press flatten it says unexpected end of file was encountered. Ive tried PSD repair tools and searched the net for solutions and there doesnt seem to be any.

The thing is, the thumbnail of the file seems to be intact because I can still see it as the file icon. I wanted to know if there was any way i can access this thumbnail image so i can enlarge it. Any help would be very appreciated!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I cant seem to upload the file, probably because its too big (~130mb). To be honest all i need is a snap shot of the image, im not bothered about all the layers since i have an older file with them intact. If i could only find a way to access the picture that is being displayed in the thumbnail which seems to be totally intact. So is there any way i can do this? its obviously being stored somewhere for it to display it on the icon. Even if its small it would be a big help. Thanks again!

You could try "Exiftool" by Phil Harvey
ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Or if you can see a full preview in Bridge there are other ways to get the jpg from the cache but would need to know if you were on a Mac or PC and what version of Photoshop.

Back