What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I automatically "Update All Modified Content" on a linked smart object

slippy88

I have a single smart object which will act as a texture layer. This texture layer is linked to over 100 documents, when I want to put a new texture in this smart object I save it then open up 1 of the 100 documents, it has the yellow warning symbol and I have to click "Update All Modified Content".

My question is , is there a way to automatically update the content so I don't have to open 100 documents and click update on each one? I thought the whole point of a linked smart object is so that it saves time by not making me open up each document and clicking update.

If you know for certain that this is impossible then also let me know so I can stop searching.

Many Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 6
I don't think its possible, afaik the only way to update a layered psd file is to open it.

PS now has 'Generate' though which can save out single layers, a combination of layers, and groups to image files, and they update on the fly.
With 2014 you can also specify subfolders too so organising is a lot easier.

If you are using this to output files for use in say 3dsMax its about as near to 'Live' painting on the object as you can get....use an image from the generated psd 'asset' folder in a map slot and it'll auto-update the material.

For example:
files_01.png

With 'Image Assets' turned ON from File > Generate
This will save out back.png, backx2.png (back.png but @ 200% bigger), fore.png, top.jpg(@100% quality), top.png All in an 'assets' folder in the psd source folder PLUS image.png, which is all the layers in that group flattened, in a sub folder called 'images'.

You can see the power of it immediately.
It maybe a case of changing your workflow I'm afraid.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Back