What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create this effect?!

Oprawindfury

For some reason, this effect is holding my interest. Here's another take on it. This time, I made a displacement map based on brightness, then used the displacement filter.

It does! Can't wait to try it tomorrow!! I'm thinking of putting some shadows which will create depths. Probably best by using different layers.

Still many thanks! chrisdesign and Tom Mann!

Woah! Did you use the VanDerLee's "Halftone" plugin as well?

No, I just used the PS filter color screen.

1.step: Desaturate the image to a black and white image.
2.step: Increase contrast with curves.
3.step: PS filter colorscreen. 4 pixel, each channel on 45 degree angle.

Finally I made 2 duplicates of this layer, (multiply), and moved each layer 1 pixel up and 1 pixel to the right. The black dots now look "stretched".

I think I (you, whomever) could duplicate this image by taking a picture of a sweater. Desaturate it and then adjust the threshold or gradient map. This is just off the top of my head, and I could be very off, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Oprawindfury

No, I just used the PS filter color screen.

1.step: Desaturate the image to a black and white image.
2.step: Increase contrast with curves.
3.step: PS filter colorscreen. 4 pixel, each channel on 45 degree angle.

Finally I made 2 duplicates of this layer, (multiply), and moved each layer 1 pixel up and 1 pixel to the right. The black dots now look "stretched".

Sorry for late answer, been some trouble home. Anyways, here is my try. I did exactly as those 3 steps, still it's not even close to what you achieved?!

sandstone.gurus.jpg

What did I do wrong?

*Edited*

After some thoughts it would have been the liquify filter that was missing:runaway:
Am I right?!

Last edited:
You're right, with the liquefy tool you can increase the waves as you like.

What you did wrong is that your Black and White image was a bit to dark after using the curves. Just play around a little.
On the final step, you might have to move each layer 2 pixel, instead of one. You'll get longer dots like this.

Please post your result, I'm very interested if you get a better image like this.

Oprawindfury

Now I've tried. The multiply option made the image so dark, don't really know why, even tho I just adjusted the contrast.

I made this one very fast but i think I've come close to the original. This time I didn't stretched the dots att all. I'm going to try that as well!!

sandstone.erosion_testgurus.jpg