What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I poster print sections?

Hi all. I've been googling for days and trying different found answers, but it's not working out. - or maybe I just don't understand.

I'm an artist-painter and work from my own photography. I want to direct transfer printed images scaled to my stretched artists canvas. For example: I'm painting on a 18x24 inch canvas. In photoshop I create an 18x24 inch canvas and import my photos, create a collage, posterize and line art the various subjects and now I'm ready to print out sections of the entire .psd onto 8.5x11 sheets of printer paper. This is where I'm stuck. I need to print out 6 sheets of paper that each have a section of the 18x24 project. I want the paper to overlap the canvas, but the image portion to butt together within the boundaries of the artists canvas. In other words, if the 6 sheets of paper were laid flat in order, my image would have a 2inch white paper border around the image, but the image itself would measure 18x24.

6 sheets of paper should measure 22x25.5 when put together. Should I increase my photoshop canvas size to this dimension AFTER completing the 18x24 .psd?

Then, how do I print out the individual sections at the correct scale? ...or maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

Thanks for any input.

I forgot to mention - I'm using Photoshop CC 2015.1.1

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
In the image below, the gray-shaded area is 22 x 25.5, which equates to six 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper. The yellow-shaded area is the 18 x 24 dimension for your actual artwork.
Thinking out loud, I would approach this by creating a Photoshop document with a canvas size of 22 x 25.5, and then, using the Gridline and the Ruler tools, carefully create a layer that looks like the image below to use as a guide. (You wouldn't want the small gaps between the six sheets of paper, which I included just for illustration.) Then import your artwork, being careful to stay within the yellow borders. When that's done, save the entire document six times in six separate files, and then crop each one to correspond to the six sheets 8.5 x 11 paper. Print all six individually and it should work.

Grid.jpg

Rich54

Guru
By the way... I made my gridline image in Microsoft Excel and then imported it into Photoshop. I use Excel every day at work, so I'm very comfortable with it, but it's perfect for accurately designing, shading and outlining a grid like this,

OK...excellent. I don't have Excel, I'm on a Mac. But I did set up a canvas that I can save and reuse over and over which is what I wanted to do, so thanks for that.

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 8.15.53 PM.png

Now I can just create new canvases for each size I use. Awesome.

As for creating 6 different copies and cropping, couldn't I select the section then copy/paste to a new file onto a 8.5x11 canvas?

MrToM

Guru
...couldn't I select the section then copy/paste to a new file ...
No need.

Check out the 'Slice' tool, especially in conjunction with 'Save For Web'...or whatever its called in your version.

The 'Slice' tool does exactly what you want without the need for creating any further documents.

Regards.
MrToM.

Rich54

Guru
No need.

Check out the 'Slice' tool, especially in conjunction with 'Save For Web'...or whatever its called in your version.

The 'Slice' tool does exactly what you want without the need for creating any further documents.

Regards.
MrToM.

I suspected the Slice tool might be helpful, but I've never used it and wasn't sure how it works.

Sheeple Schism... in your attachment, the three gray 8.5 x 11 sheets that you made with guidelines aren't all the same width. The ones on either end are identical, but the center section is wider. You may want to re-check your calculations.

Sheeple Schism... in your attachment, the three gray 8.5 x 11 sheets that you made with guidelines aren't all the same width. The ones on either end are identical, but the center section is wider. You may want to re-check your calculations.

Correct. The gray section is the image area, when you include the white borders of the canvas the 3 sections are each 8.5 inches wide and 11 inches long.

No need.

Regards.
MrToM.

Looking at it now. I remember using it years ago when making a website, but I don't really know about it. I'll do some research.

ThankS!!:thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
...I remember using it years ago when making a website...
Its original purpose is for exactly that...slicing one big image into smaller images for easier download times on web pages but it doesn't have to be used 'just' for web based projects.

You've already got your 'guides' set up so use them to define the 'sliced' areas....then when you save this out just make sure you SELECT each slice, (its subtle so be careful), before selecting the 'Selected Slices' from the options dropdown.

You'll then get 1 image per slice....I think you can specify a folder too so they all end up together.....could be wrong...been a while since I used it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
The problem with using the slice tool for printed matter (vs web material) is that while it is very easy to put two web slices together with no gap between them, when you are attempting to lay pieces of paper together with no visual gap, it's very helpful to have some blank area around the edges of each of the individual pages so that you can tape or glue them together.

However, there are many ways to do what I think you want. See if this post helps:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...e-printing-post1533674018.html#post1533674018

Several of the solutions mentioned therein allow one to adjust the size of this border to your individual preferences / needs.

Also, I don't think that in that old post I mentioned that tiled printing can also be done in Illustrator, and is even offered as an option in the printer driver for some printers (particularly, old Epsons).

Tom M

Last edited:
OK...so the slices worked perfectly with the guides. I just had to delete the unwanted slices and snap the edges of the wanted slices to where they should be.

The problem comes with saving those slices. When I right click on the individual slice and select 'slice options' you can see that the slice is W:2550 and H:3300 - perfect 8.5x11 inches

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 10.44.48 PM.png

However, when I Export > Save For Web (Legacy) the individual slices magically change to W: 35.417 x H: 45.833 inches !?!?

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 10.42.03 PM.png

So I tried downsizing the image to 8.5 x 11 and printing. Needless to say it somehow scaled to fit the page but the edge of the image didn't go all the way to the edge of the paper.

OK...I also have OnOne's Photo 10 with Perfect Resize...I hadn't thought of that. Let me look at it.

Edit - Yep. That worked. :giggle:

In fact I guess that's why they call it "Perfect" Resize :rofl:

Thank you for reminding me I own software that I have no idea how it works. haha

Thanks to Rich54!!

The key was setting up the correct canvas size in photoshop to equal the sheets of paper, then centering the exact size of the artists canvas within.

I was stuck on both parts, so thanks for that!!