What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create a brush that becomes more porous/distressed on lighter strokes?

Rekov

I hope you will bear with me a little, since I'm not entirely sure how to phrase what I'm asking for. I know how to use dual brushes to create some nice effects, but I am not going for dual-brush with pen pressure for transfer.

What I want is a brush that gets more distressed/porous looking with lighter pressure, as opposed to a distressed brush that gets less opaque over all with lighter pressure. In the example below, is it possible to create a brush that does something like this? I am looking specifically at the second line from the bottom, with the green stroke over white. Also the stroke near the top, with the yellow/green stroke over brown.

example.png

I could undoubtedly achieve this same effect by just using a very distressed brush and go over some parts with multiple strokes to create that sort of gradient, but I wonder if there is some way to link it to pen pressure.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What I want is a brush that gets more distressed/porous looking with lighter pressure, as opposed to a distressed brush that gets less opaque over all with lighter pressure.

For the most part, what you ask for is not possible with the Ps Brush Tool. The main functions that are controlled with pen pressure are opacity, size, jitter, and scatter. A few combinations of brush settings gives the right effect but not in the manner you desire. Build up while in the Dual Brush mode is about as close as you can get.