What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to erase background of phone case mockup but keeping camera and volume buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanshr

Hi,

The basic idea is to just erase the background of phone cover but retaining the camera selection and other buttons (point as arrows), so that i could be able to insert multiple pictures and save them. please guide me from start to end and step by step how to achieve this. I am using PS CS6.
10.jpg

Thanks,

Sandeep

fredfish

Guru
Re: How to erase background of phone case mockup but keeping camera and volume button

To be honest that is quite a row quality image - What is the make and model of the phone, it would probably be better to find a bigger start image.

You are absolutely right to be thinks of mock ups and by using smart objects it is fairly straightforward to have a file that you can just double click on to change the image. If we can find a better start image I am more tan happy to take you through the process.

Chers

John

sanshr

Re: How to erase background of phone case mockup but keeping camera and volume button

Hi John, thanks for your prompt reply and sorry i didn't get what you meant by row quality image and bigger start image. Actually it is a sample image of iPhone 7 Plus with a phone case covered. Sorry again if i m kind of dumb.

regards,

Sandeep

fredfish

Guru

Just to show you that it is eminently doable this took 20 mins with the pen tool and using a smart object and a clipping mask.

However it would be significantly better with a bigger image. I would also put some shading around the curved edges (which would also work with a smart object).

phone.jpg

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru

Hi John, thanks for your prompt reply and sorry i didn't get what you meant by row quality image and bigger start image. Actually it is a sample image of iPhone 7 Plus with a phone case covered. Sorry again if i m kind of dumb.

regards,

Sandeep

No need to appologise (it should be me - I miss typed it should have been "Low" not row quality image :banghead:

Not having an iPhone I didnt recognise it.

More than happy to take you through what I did - how experienced are you (with Photoshop)?

Cheers

John

sanshr

However it would be significantly better with a bigger image. I would also put some shading around the curved edges (which would also work with a smart object).

View attachment 78528

Cheers

John

Now i got what you said. and you have done exactly what i wanted to achieve. and also perhaps you read my mind :) as i also wanted to put shading around curved edge for kind of realistic look. How can i go through to achieve this? what selection tool i have to use, as i am a beginner with basic photoshop skills.

thanks a lot

fredfish

Guru

No problem - Actually this is a great beginning the pen tool project!

Have a look at a couple of tutorials for the pen tool while I try to put together some details about the rest - it may be an hour or 2 as I have some phone calls to make.

Have a look at this one for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EULQuSiNEWM

Cheers

John

sanshr

sure sir take your time. In the meanwhile, i try to get familiar with the Pen tool. thanks for this.

fredfish

Guru

[h=2]Re: How to erase background of phone case mockup but keeping camera and volume button[/h]
OK I did this in a few (but not many) steps

1: Use the pen tool to create a selection of the phone - completely ignore the buttons at this stage.
1.jpg

2: With the pen tool still selected right click on the path and select "Make Selection"
3: Create a layer above the phone layer and go to Edit Fill and fill by colour (it can be any colour you like as it is only going to be used as a clipping mask)
2.jpg

4: OK now hide the yellow layer by clicking on the "Eyeball" and re select the original phone layer
5: Use the pen tool to select the buttons and the camera - you can do them all at the same time.
6: Once you have selected them go to the paths panel and click on the make selection from path button at the bottom of the panel
3.jpg

7: Make sure you are on the phone layer and press CTRL + J - this will create a layer that only has the buttons
8: Move this layer to the top of the layer stack
9: Turn back on your yellow phone layer and the image and layer panel should look something like
4.jpg

10: Right click on the Yellow layer (It MUST be where I have indicated or you will get a different set of options) and select Convert to Smart Object - in this shot i have already done this.
5.jpg

OK now you are ready to change the image -

11: Double click on the yellow smart object icon in the layers panel and the yellow phone will open up in its own window with the edges transparent
12 Load your desired image into this window and resize it to whatever looks good Make sure the image is above the yellow phone in the layers panel
13: SLOWLY move the mouse between the 2 layers and you will see a small square with a bent arrow appear
6.jpg

14: When this appears hold down the ALT key and left click - This "Clips" the image to the phone
15 Now close down the window that you just placed the image into and you should be asked if you want to save - select yes.
16: Nearly finished - the final thing I did was to lower the opacity of the layer slightly as the new image was a bit too intense -

Whenever you want a new phone image just double click the smart object and change the picture - you dont even have ot delete the old one, just hide it - this way you can have a whole load of different phone cases stored in the same document.

I know we still need to sort out the shading - but I need to eat!

Hope that is all clear.

Cheers

John

sanshr

I followed and did the steps and worked for me exactly till the 12th step. But then i could not be able to find that small square with a bent arrow. i have moved the mouse between the two layers but i didn't notice that change.
One thing i noticed is that after inserting the new pic, both the layers have a smart object icon on them while in yours, none of them.

qftghh.png
something went wrong from my side i think.

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru

Sorry - slight mistake you should be holding down ALT while you move between the layers.

If it still isn't working for you you can right click on the new picture and select "Create Clipping Mask"

The fact that you have the "Smart object" indicator for each of the layers isn't a problem. When you drag a new image into a project it is automatically converted into a smart object.

Cheers

John

sanshr

Finally I did it. Many Many thanks for your kindness and detailed explanations :thumbsup:.

By this way, if i am not wrong, i can also create an action and automated batch process to save multiple phone cases right?

fredfish

Guru

I am sure you could but to be honest it really isn't difficult to have multiple pictures in your .psb file and switch them as needed.

As an example have a look at this tobacco tin mock up I did a while back.

View attachment 500_1oz_tobacco_tin3.psd

Cheers

John

sanshr

Yes you are right and its a terrific idea to store multiple images in a single .psd file.

But the problem is it is one model and i have to create mockups for more than 300 models of phones and each one will consist of 100 plus designs/pictures.

So i think creating an action and conducting automate batch process can cut significant amount of time.

Well its a secondary thing for me and i am more than happy for what you guided and i achieved the current result. Still i request to explain how can i apply shading/lightning effects around the curved edges with smart object.

regards

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hello sanshr and welcome to PSG.

I just want to jump in with the quick observation that you will not be able to use an action in order to simplify the process as I understand it. You are going to have to follow Johns process for each model.

I really wasn't aware that there were that many different phone models available on the market! You will need a "phone back" template for every model. Unless you can find templates online, you have your work cut out for you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Still i request to explain how can i apply shading/lightning effects around the curved edges with smart object.

I would just add a layer style with inner shadow added.

It will show up on the template.

Before.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.17.11 PM.png
After.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.15.34 PM.png

....and it will show up when you clip images to the template.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.15.41 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

You could also use Bevel & Emboss.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.26.28 PM.png

With or without a Gradient overlay.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 1.26.37 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.