What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make the image darken like thsi using photoshop cs6??

zoe20

Power User
I Often wonder how to darken the given image like the one i attached. What i tried is i added a rectangle over the image with black and tried to reduce the opacity and fills.But i didn't get the result like the one i attached. Gurus please give me your expert suggestions on it. Thanks in advance.
cheers
zoe20

This is the Original Image

z1.jpg

This is the Effect am trying to replicate

ty1.jpg

Last edited:

zoe20

Power User
Oops i forgot to add the psd here you go.Please Gurus explain us.Its very useful tip to all the newbies in here. Thanks in advance.

This is my Effort so far - Attached the Layered PSD :

Ok i uploaded the psd to Mediafire.Please find it in here ?

https://www.mediafire.com/?8p82z07p8fnf81o

MrToM

Guru
You've done exactly the right thing.

I placed the 'target' image over your PSD image and changed the 'Blend Mode' to DIFFERENCE.
What this does is to give you a greyscale image, the darker a pixel is the less difference there is to the one under it....so a 'perfect' match would result in a completely black result.

This is the result of what you've done with the 'Opacity' adjusted rather than the 'Fill'....

z1_MT_01.png

As you can see, its almost totally black, meaning its as close to the 'target' image as makes no odds.

There may be other ways to do this but I think the simplicity wins in this case.

What I did:
Put the 'target' image on top of your layer stack.
Set its 'Blend Mode' to 'Difference'.
Set 'Fill' to 100% for the black layer.
Adjusted 'Opacity' of the black layer until the image is as black as you can get it.
Turn off 'target' image.

z1_MT_02.png

Regards.
MrTom.

zoe20

Power User
Thanks a lot MrTom.If possible can you share the psd? Thanks in advance.

regards
zoe

MrToM

Guru
You have it already.....its yours.

All I've done is to set the 'Fill' back to 100% and the Opacity to around 76%.

Thats all.

If you want to use the technique described above then just follow my instructions.

Regards.
MrTom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Using the difference / subtraction method to check for exact matches, once can also see that there are other methods that will produce either identical or very similar results:

a) An exposure adjustment layer with the exposure set to -5.35;

b) A levels adjustment layer with the maximum output brightness slider set to 50; and,

c) A black layer with the opacity set to ~ 97% and the fill set to 100% gets very close, but it isn't exact.

I am sure that there are other methods that also work.

Cheers,

Tom M

zoe20

Power User
Thank you Tom Mann. Really awesome. Thanks for the help.This is a great place to learn . You Gurus are always so kind enough to teach us when ever we got struck.