What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Touch Canvas From Inside Or Outside

Hi, hope you're doing well. Quick question here. How can I have this item I'm transforming touch the canvas from the inside or outside. I use these terms because Media Player Classic has these options and it works perfectly, touch frame from inside or outside.

So, when I'm resizing a picture.....err...here, imagine the stage. The canvas is 1080x1080, and I'm positioning a 1920x1080 image to go in the middle, entire width fitting in the frame. If I'm not holding shift, it'll snap to the edge. However, when I'm not holding shift, it's disproportionate. If I hold shift, it doesnt snap anymore. I did find a way actually just now, amidst writing this post. I just made it touch the left wall, and then drag it out to the right wall, disproportionately, then clicked the link to link both percentages / pixels on the top left. Not bad, and at least I'm confident it was done digitally.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure I get it but when creating a blanc canvas 1080 X 1080 and dragging a 1920 X 1080 picture onto it pressing and holding the shift key, this is what you get

Untitled-1.jpg

The picture will align perfectly in the center.

Another option would be to use the layers alignment tools:

Last edited:
I want the horizontal edges of the picture to touch the canvas edges. So there will be extra room at the top and bottom.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Now I'm really lost...
If the horizontal edges are touching the canvas edges how can there be extra room at the top and bottom?
Unless you extend the canvas using the crop tool...

Now I'm really lost...
If the horizontal edges are touching the canvas edges how can there be extra room at the top and bottom?
Unless you extend the canvas using the crop tool...
The picture is 1920x1080 and the canvas is 1080x1080

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You can't fit a 1920 X 1080 px image onto a 1080 X 1080 px canvas without losing your ratio.

You can't fit a 1920 X 1080 px image onto a 1080 X 1080 px canvas without losing your ratio.
Right, that's fine, I just want the width to be 1080 and y to proportionately match. I suppose I can just type it into the transform box

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I get it now...
Execute what I did in post #2.
Hold your cursor on the top right anchor point until a double arrow appears.
Press and hold shift + alt while resizing the image (to constrain the proportions) until it fits horizontally.
The image is now centered.
(If you use guidelines set left and right the image will snap into position while resizing.)

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg