What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iimage gets noisy after editing in RAW and opening it in photoshop

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahh ... that explains it. Using a softbox underneath is a great idea!

With respect to posting pix and getting feedback, you have several choices:

a) https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/graphic-design-showroom/

b) https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/before-and-after-showroom/

and

c) https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photography/

Have a look at all three and see which you feel most comfortable in. If it was me and I was posting only photos, not graphic design, and not PS manipulations, I would probably put my pix in the photography section, (c).

Can't wait to see them.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
...I am a bit unclear as to what is happening after editing in ACR. Are we going directly to PS using Open Image ? or are we saving the file as a JPG and then opening in PS? You know the file maintains the nef extension when Open Image is used and the format is changed when saved from PS. I am just grasping here.
When one hits "Open Image" in ACR, it should be exactly the same as if one hit "Save As" (in ACR - ie, bottom LH of the screen), selected PSD as the desired output file type (not a JPG), and then opened that file in PS.

Whatever is causing this odd behavior for the OP, I sure can't reproduce it, but I'll keep trying later tonight.

Tom

Navid Hekmat

@Tom Mann "PS - I don't know what the cause is, but I *really* doubt that the OP's noise problem has anything to do with ACR. I think we're going down the wrong path with this line of inquiry. However, I am curious about ALB (Larry's) question: When did this first start?. I would also ask whether or not you see this on the NEF files from other cameras? Also, if you export (say, a full-sized JPG) directly from ACR instead of going into PS, do you see noise in the resulting file?"

Tom, as you know, in the world of computers, most things have a logical answer. Sometimes though, the answer doesn't just jump out. So you try things that may or may not solve the problem. OP has stated this started happening when PS CC was installed. After I opened the NEF file with my Version 8.6 ACR it becomes pretty evident that that is not the cause, so we have eliminated that. I am a bit unclear as to what is happening after editing in ACR. Are we going directly to PS using Open Image ? or are we saving the file as a JPG and then opening in PS? You know the file maintains the nef extension when Open Image is used and the format is changed when saved from PS. I am just grasping here.

When the file is opened after editing "Open image" then it remains in NEF i suppose. This is when the noise appears then. If i then save it to JPG and open the JPG file then it is good. The problem is only when opening a RAW file and do editing and then clickin the "Open image". Then the noise appears. As i mentioned the noise disappears when i zoom in 3 or 4 times. If i zoom back (out) then it appears.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member

ALB68

You can also try changing your Camera Raw settings. On the top menu bar click the icon that has 3 horizontal bars.

Navid Hekmat

YES..I did a reset on the preferences file and when i then reloaded the adobe and tried to opening the NEF file (clicking "Open image") i got the message which i attached.

Yes..i had CS5.1 before. It seems the migration was the issue, i might have been clicked on yes before.. Does that make sense? I The image shows correct now. ALB68 and the rest of you. THANK YOU
.View attachment 50821

ALB68

YES..I did a reset on the preferences file and when i then reloaded the adobe and tried to opening the NEF file (clicking "Open image") i got the message which i attached.

Yes..i had CS5.1 before. It seems the migration was the issue, i might have been clicked on yes before.. Does that make sense? I The image shows correct now. ALB68 and the rest of you. THANK YOU
.View attachment 50821
Yes! :thumbsup:

ALB68

That's fantastic! Thank you, Larry. The good 'old preferences-file-reset comes to the rescue again.

Good on ya.

Tom
Figured it was something simple.