What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's the End of the World As We Know It

Rich54

Guru
After eight years of countless tutorials and incessant toiling to improve my Photoshop proficiency, along comes the 2016 Celine ad campaign featuring a deliberately inept photo montage that any beginner could achieve on the first try. Who knew that five minute’s experience with the Quick Selection tool could lead to a prestigious job in the fashion industry? Oh, well……

Celine-ad-advertisment.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL..... such is the fickle and unpredictable World of Fashion Advertising....

I haven't come across a detailed brief outlining the logic behind their 2016 Ad campaign. And I'd love to know how the Advertising agency or people behind this piece of work talked Celine higher ups into this.....must have been a good presentation (at gun point , maybe?).... lol....

One thing I can say.... this campaign seems to have put emphasis on minimalism and simplicity to hilight the personality of this year's collection.

And I'm not surprised if the graphic designers involved in putting these together are scratching their heads raw wondering whether their art directors had one too many....

It may seem like the end of the graphics world as we know it..... but there has to be some calculated marketing logic behind this which will determine whether this campaign will prove to be a success.... or flop...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only marketing logic I could think of would be to reduce costs. I look forward to seeing the images from this campaign ending up on "Photoshop Fail" sites.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The only marketing logic I could think of would be to reduce costs.

Reduce costs? .... I'm not surprised if millions went into this .... this.... I dunno what to call it.... Graphics Manip Abomination? :rofl:

In terms of image handling, this will definitely be discussed in Photoshop fail sites.... But it's a different story when it comes to the effectiveness of the Ad Campaign itself.... intentional errors in the image won't matter....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reduce costs? .... I'm not surprised if millions went into this .... this.... I dunno what to call it.... Graphics Manip Abomination? :rofl:
Your probably right!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just to clarify...........I realize this was done on purpose. I think it was a poor choice. However, in the end, I suspect it will be quite successful and touted as a brilliant marketing strategy.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Most probably. In the world of fashion, almost anything goes. Campaigns serves to target specific customers. The bottom line are the clothing designs themselves.

Celine wouldn't be the only one who's made questionable choices for ad campaigns. Take Benetton's last 2 gimmicks.... A lot of people initially said the themes were distasteful but in the end, both became well accepted and highly successful .