What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stoppage

Hi I have a background jpeg ("partially locked") and a background copy. When I make changes to "background copy", and I open the original, the same changes appear in original. I thought the background orig. should remain unchanged. Am I wrong? Is it a setting somewhere? Obliged for any help here.

Tom Mann

Guru
One way this could happen is if you converted your background layer to a smart object and then simply duplicated it instead of using the "New smart object via copy" command.

Other than that, what happens to one layer shouldn't affect another layer, even if they started out identical.

Tom M

hawkeye

Guru
You need to save it as a psd file to maintain the layer structure. Any other format will flatten (merge) all of the layers.t

stoppage

One way this could happen is if you converted your background layer to a smart object and then simply duplicated it instead of using the "New smart object via copy" command.

Other than that, what happens to one layer shouldn't affect another layer, even if they started out identical.

Tom M
I didn't convert the background layer and the only way the background layer (original) remains unchanged is if I make the background copy invisible

gedstar

Guru
I didn't convert the background layer and the only way the background layer (original) remains unchanged is if I make the background copy invisible

That would mean that the original background layer hasn't changed, the changes you made to the copy are only made to that layer and not to the original layer
That's why we make a copy of the original layer, the changes you make to the copy do not affect the original layer and as hawkeye stated make sure to save as a PSD

This may help you understand how layers work
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/

Last edited:

stoppage

That would mean that the original background layer hasn't changed, the changes you made to the copy are only made to that layer and not to the original layer
That's why we make a copy of the original layer, the changes you make to the copy do not affect the original layer and as hawkeye stated make sure to save as a PSD

This may help you understand how layers work
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/

Then it was my misunderstanding. Thank you for the link