What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help colour correcting - can't work out why it's not working!

shackattack

Hey,

I'm fairly ok with Photoshop but have never been taught how to use it (learnt off youtube mostly) so there are big gaps in what I know. So this may be a really obvious / easy fix (hope so!).

I have made this image which I now need to replicate in lots of different colours.

king of apres.jpg

I have tried applying a new adjustment layer>colour balance, then changing the hue. Also selecting the green colour and then doing a colour replacement tutorial I found/ on youtube but when I move the hue slider up and down the colours that it changes it to are weird. They are kind of muddy, like you can see the green of the original picture coming through under the adjusted colour. Eg One of the colours I need this pic in is a bright yellow/gold, but when I move the slide around the closest I can get is a bright acid green or a kind of fawn colour.

I feel like I need to somehow take the green away before I change the colour, but then I don't know how photoshop would know what areas to replace the colour in (i.e. the green bits not the white)?

Also, is there a way of specifying exactly what colour to change the green to (like R4 G76 B76)?

Any help would be so welcome, I'm getting frustrated!!

Thanks.

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
There are many ways to do it. I selected the white with Select Color Range. Added a color adjustment layer & reversed the selection for the mask. I also added a white color adjustment layer to clean it up using the same selection. Double click the color layer and change it to whatever you please.

Attachments

• Untitled20160303123613.jpg
    Untitled20160303123613.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1

MrToM

Guru
Here's how I did it...

1. Make a selection of the 'Red' channel.
2. Invert the selection.
3. Create a new layer and fill the selection with black.
4. Under that create a white layer for the background.
5. Add a 'Colour Overlay' layer effect to the upper layer and make it any colour you want.

Of course if you already have the colour separate from the white background then you just need to add the 'Colour Overlay' layer effect.

colour_change_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited: