What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D New beginnings all for free

Paul

Former Member
Decided to stay with the free fully functioning Blender program and so far confused but gripped:cheesygrin:
I thought why spend cash on something i will only use hop and a catch not like it's my passion or anything, my love affair is with Photoshop firstly this new stuff is merely a play thing, i have joined another forum the other week and so far been getting some good advice on what and how to do things, but that is a Blender forum only so i would expect just that.

I made a couple of figures up, not going to show just yet as i am shy:rofl:

Oh ok you twisted my arm, this is just three poses animated in Photoshop, i have not started on the animation stuff in Blender been looking but not ready yet:mrgreen:

blenderbaby.gif Yeah it's a baby with an old face, apt i thought as i am an old fart just starting out in this stuff, the model i made in 'makehuman' then made some small changes in Blender then animated as i said using Photoshop's gif program:idea:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
That is one ghastly looking baby.... LOL.

But its a good start. Blender is a good starter 3D program less some of the bells and whistles one will find in 3Dmax or Lightwave

Ouchhh.... does this mean also mean I have to install Blender too in this ol pile of electronics so's I can help you through it?.... :rofl:

SPWA

Power User
I'm tempted to have a play with blender or a similar program. Zbrush has been mentioned to me, is this the same type of thing?

Wish I had a "makehuman" function some mornings too.

MrToM

Guru
...Zbrush has been mentioned to me, is this the same type of thing?...
Not really.

Software like ZBrush and Mudbox are more 'sculpting' applications....used to add the finer detail to a model you already have.

Stick with actual '3D' software like Paul has suggested to get the 'model' in the first place...then once you get something out of it you could then try 'sculpting' if you dare.

Give yourself a few years to learn it too, seriously....even the simplest of 3D applications are way more complex than Photoshop.

Don't let me put you off though....3D is absolutely fantastic to learn.....it just takes a while to get anything 'good' from it.

You'll have no problem though, just don't expect masterpieces straight away.

I've never used a 'free' application such as Blender so couldn't recommend one over the other but I've seen some pretty impressive stuff from all of them......but they do take time.

Did I mention it may take a while to learn 3D?

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Zbrush is a Sculpting and Painting application. As the name suggests, it primarily uses specialized brushes to create and edit 3D models and polygon meshes. It's like modelling with clay in cyber space.

Blender is a free modeling , rigging , animation , rendering application. Like Zbrush, it also employs a variety of geometric primitives or NURBS (Non-uniform rational basis spline - a mathematical shape for generating curves or surfaces) that you can extrude, subdivide, insert etc to create shapes. But in Zbrush, you "paint" over the shape to subtract or add to the model's shape.

ZBrush has a steep learning curve. If you're interested to try 3D modelling, start off with either Blender, Wings3D, Animator or SoftImage (all for free) to get a feel of it....

Then there's Cinema4D, Rhino, Hexagon, 3DMax, Lightwave which are more advanced 3d applications. As well as rigging/posing/render applications like Poser, DazStudio, Bryce and Truespace.

One can look at learning 3D modelling in the same way you learn Photoshop. It may take years to master the 2 applications but it depends on what projects you want to create.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
One can look at learning 3D modelling in the same way you learn Photoshop. It may take years to master the 2 applications but it depends on what projects you want to create.
and on how you learn/whether you gel with it or not.

if you learn through tutorials you can pick up some really cool things, but they might go a little too fast, or they might use a bit if strange terminology, or you might get scared off by the sheer information within.

if you learn through experimentation, you can experiment and get better and faster but it will take longer and you run the risk of creating bad habits.

if you dont gel with the software then you'll find it quite difficult to get anything done.

as dv8 has said, zbrush has a steep learning curve, steeper than 3dsmax, and its always good to get to know dedicated 3d modelling software, as you can use this and zbrush together as part of your workflow.

out of interest, are you a student SPWA?

oh Paul, if you decide on modelling a head from scratch in blender, I liked to use this tutorial when I was learning, so I thought it might help you too!

http://youtu.be/86JiuZpbi_w

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
and on how you learn/whether you gel with it or not.

if you learn through tutorials you can pick up some really cool things, but they might go a little too fast, or they might use a bit if strange terminology, or you might get scared off by the sheer information within.

if you learn through experimentation, you can experiment and get better and faster but it will take longer and you run the risk of creating bad habits.

if you dont gel with the software then you'll find it quite difficult to get anything done.

as dv8 has said, zbrush has a steep learning curve, steeper than 3dsmax, and its always good to get to know dedicated 3d modelling software, as you can use this and zbrush together as part of your workflow.

out of interest, are you a student SPWA?

oh @Paul, if you decide on modelling a head from scratch in blender, I liked to use this tutorial when I was learning, so I thought it might help you too!

http://youtu.be/86JiuZpbi_w

:thumbsup:

Exactly.... which is why I said it's similar to how one learns PS..... if you follow tutorials, you'll learn the basics in no time. Advanced techniques can come in later as you progress.

And like in anything, if you don't have true interest and drive to learn, it's a slow process which may lead to one eventually giving up on it....

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
ah, if you were a student you can get fully featured autodesk software for free

Paul

Former Member
Thanks both, yeah some great viewing and reading to be had another great FREE product is http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ a great little play thing that is fully transferable into Blender and beyond.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Don't forget the free RENDERMAN, @Paul. Huge download, tho......

As one had to subscribe for it back when it was initially offered at their site, I don't know whether it's still offered today..... Couldn't check as the DL site is down since morning when I checked.....

Zelna

Banned
That's quite impressive. I'm going to install Blender on my system. :giggle:Can somebody tell me minimum system requirements?

Paul

Former Member
Don't forget the free RENDERMAN, @Paul. Huge download, tho......

As one had to subscribe for it back when it was initially offered at their site, I don't know whether it's still offered today..... Couldn't check as the DL site is down since morning when I checked.....

Thanks Vee, what size is the file?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks Vee, what size is the file?

I don't quite remember but it was in gigs..... :shocked:. The download is the installer which is used via access to the net in order to download and install the application.

I'll look for that notification email.......

Wait a minute... I think that notification was for my copy with it's serial details in my accounts page.....

You'll have to access your account at their site for the download link.....

MrToM

Guru
I tried Renderman a while back with 3dsMax but the two never really played together very well.....in fact I don't think they ever played together at all if I'm honest.

I never knew anyone else that tried it neither so If you do give it a go and get something out of it it will be interesting to see what it can do.....it is 'Pixar' after all so it should be good!

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did....if you try it.

Regards.
MrToM.