What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outline with transparent background from photo

suetosser

Hi
been trying to work out how i can do this with no luck....I have a photo of a dogs head - i want to end up with an outline of this on a transparent background - i have been selecting the head using quick selection tool and then going to blending mode and stroke so i get the outer line ok but the fill is a colour - but does anyone know how i can end up with a transparent fill please
thanks for any help
Sue

gedstar

Guru
Hi and Welcome to PSG

Not sure if this is what you're after
Make a selection of the dog and copy that to a new layer, then turn off the original layer.
image1.jpg

Then go to Select, Modify, Contract and contract the selection by about 5px
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Hit delete on the keyboard to remove what's inside the selection
image4.jpg

Then CTRL click on the layers thumbnail to make the selection active and then hit CTRL backspace to fill the selection with black
image5.jpg

Result
image6.jpg

Last edited:

suetosser

Awesome thanks so much gedstar - works a treat - i just need to do the initial selection with a thicker edge as some edges were very faint....i assume thats in the initial selection with the quick selection tool
thanks so much for your time
Sue

suetosser

gedstar did u make the selection of your photo using quick selection tool? just wondering as your outline is good and solid - my outline - which was of a more hairy dog - is very light and dark in places....

suetosser

are these MAC commands?Then CTRL click on the layers thumbnail to make the selection active and then hit CTRL backspace to fill the selection with black
as i dont think the latter worked on my image (MAC)....maybe thats why its a wishy washy edge!

gedstar

Guru
Sorry they're Windows commands

I think it should be
Command + Delete to fill with background color
Option + Delete to fill with foreground color
Command + Click on the layers thumbnail

Yes I used the quick selection tool and refined edge, but that will depend on the image in question, can you post the image of the dog you have?

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
That image you're working on is a very low resolution image!

Untitled.jpg

I was still able to get a decent outline though
Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
For a higher res image you need to increase the contract px size here I use 50px

Untitled2.jpg

suetosser

yep looks good - i tried and still get wishy washy image like this...appreciate your help thank you
Untitled-1.jpg

gedstar

Guru
This is what your selection should look like after copying it to a new layer, note this is in quick mask mode just to highlight it

Untitled.jpg

After contracting you should have this

Untitled1.jpg

After deleting

Untitled2.jpg

And Fill with black

Untitled3.jpg

Last edited:

suetosser

thanks gedstar i will try this tomorrow - looks like contracting at 5 px for my image wasnt enough so will increase this - let you know - thanks again so much for your help

suetosser

Thanks Gedstar - increasing the contract worked ok - now i have a nice outline so just have to work out how to add a little something to show the eye nose and ear so it looks more like a dog....is the easiest way to deselect these areas in the initial selection?