What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Styles Pen Fill path is very pixelated when filled in.

IastigpinoyI

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for viewing my post!! I'm very very new to photoshop and I really do not know what I am doing. I was following a tutorial to create my Logo but when I use the pen tool to create shapes (Pen tool > Make the shape I need > Fill Path..) it fills just fine but it is very pixelated on the edges. The canvas is 1920x1080 and my image takes up the middle of the canvas at like 40%. When I zoom out to 100% it is still very pixelated. 50% and it's finally smooth. This image has about 20+ different layers and each layer has a different shape... if anyone has any info on how to smooth out the shapes it would be very much appreciated!!

Images are provided for 100% and 411% zoom.

100%.jpg

441%.jpg

Thanks

- Odin

carlbush

Power User
Check the image resolution. Even if 1920x1080 pixels, if the resolution is low (72 dpi), you will get pixelization. I make sure all my images are created at 300 dpi.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi IastigpinoyI

When you fill a path, you have two options that are important above and beyond image resolution and those are
1) anti-alias (I am sure you have the turned off)
2) feathering (if desired)

You get these options below in the path panel and choosing fill from the upper right drop-down box instead of clicking the fill path icon on the bottom row.

I just bet that is probably your issue (and I lose bets sometimes :) )

John Wheeler

Fill-Path-options.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

What tutorial were you following?

Can we see a screenshot of your Pen Tool settings?

Can you upload your PSD on a file host and provide us a link?

Here is a PSD doc at 1920px x 1080px at 72ppi

I made a shape with the Pen Tool and filled the path.
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 10.42.53 PM.png

100% zoom
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 10.38.32 PM.png

411% zoom
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 10.38.20 PM.png

I'm not seeing the aliasing that you have in your image.

jkemp

Check the image resolution. Even if 1920x1080 pixels, if the resolution is low (72 dpi), you will get pixelization. I make sure all my images are created at 300 dpi.

Actually, this isn't right. A 1920x1080 pixels image has the exact same number of pixels no matter what resolution you set it on. The dpi settings has no impact if you're length and width are expressed in pixels. It does however when you set your length and width with inches... A 2 x 2 inches images @ 72 dpi is actually 144 x 144 pixels. The same 2 x 2 inches @ 300dpi gets a better resolution at 600 x 600 pixels.

That being said, dpi stands for "dots per inches". It's a printing concept. In PS, dots are pixels, and the resolution should be expressed as ppi, or "pixels per inches".

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is definitely some type of size discrepancy. I'm just not sure how or why it's happening.

Your Oden graphic is less than an inch wide and about 3 inches tall.

This can be seen on your ruler.
Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 11.47.19 AM copy.png

In my example, I see the aliasing when I create a shape that small....
Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 11.56.53 AM.png

hawkeye

Guru
Photoshop is a raster program and as such it displays everything as raster. If you want see it as a vector, you can save it as a PDF, or as an EPS which can be opened in Illustrator.