What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS3 - Mockup business cards help please

oodya

Thank you very much for everyone's help. For that particular file - I did what MrTom mentioned and it worked perfectly. I have tried this with another file, but when I double click on the layer (from the main file), a new Photoshop window opens for that particular layer - however, this does not look as though it is a smart object - when I double click on it again (expecting Illustrator to open), it only brings up the 'Layer Style' dialogue - any ideas?

I really do appreciate the time that people have taken to help me. I'm thinking about the possibility of upgrading my Photoshop version now - might make things easier.

MrToM

Guru
Thank you very much for everyone's help. For that particular file - I did what MrTom mentioned and it worked perfectly...
Excellent!

Unfortunately that was the only part of your post I could really make any sense of.

Using terms like "This layer" and "That layer" and "It" are just far too general and make it impossible to fully understand exactly what you mean.
I could take an educated guess at what's going on but answering 'my' interpretation isn't going to help you if I guessed completely wrong......you see my point?

...I'm thinking about the possibility of upgrading my Photoshop version now - might make things easier...
It certainly would. LOL
Its understandable that older versions are still in use but maybe CS3 is going back just a little too far?

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Excellent work MrTom...thanks for sticking with it to find the ultimate solution. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
OK...

I have found the cause.
I have a solution.

Its not CS3...its the file.

The text in the 'Front' layer is actually a 'placed' AI file. (Placed files can automatically become smart objects)
Whilst this is normally fine the AI file hasn't been included in the zip package.
This means any edits will fail as the AI file cannot be found.
If you create your own 'Text' psd file and 'Place' that into the main PSD file (2 cards.psd) then any future edits will work.

If you want to use the original text then double click 'front' to open that smart object.
Then Double click the 'replace me' smart object.
Save this PSB file as a PSD file in the same folder. (If you use the original name it will be Capa 1.psd)
Back in the '2 cards.psd' file use 'Place...' to embed that new PSD file....(Capa 1.psd)
It will become a smart object if that option is turned on in the preferences.

You'll have to do the 'perspective' transform again but at least from then on you can edit YOUR text file and the 2 Cards.psd should update normally.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Excellent work MrTom...thanks for sticking with it to find the ultimate solution. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
No worries.

Not sure about 'Ultimate solution' but at least the 'cause' was nailed!

Regards.
MrTom.