What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picasa not showing "open with photoshop"

CadillacPat

New guy here.
Just bought a new HP Envy 750-111 with Windows 10.
I normally use Picasa to search for jpgs and psd to open in photoshop.
I no longer have Photoshop in the Open With menu when I right click onto a file.
Jpgs open in Picasa Photo Editor but psd files go directly to Photoshop.
I am having to open up all pics from within Photoshop and that is backwards for me.

How do I get the Photoshop choice to show again when I right click to Open with?

...How do I get the Photoshop choice to show again when I right click to Open with?...
If you have never opened a .jpg file via 'Open With...' and Photoshop then the Option will not be there.

Go through the same context menu but select 'Choose Default Program...' and navigate to your Photoshop.exe file in the Photoshop install directory.

Make sure that 'Always use this program to open files of this type' is checked....its near the bottom of the window.

The file should then open in PS.....you may or may not want this instantly but from now on the 'Open With...' context menu should then contain Photoshop as an option.

Its a case of having to do it once....from then on it should then always be an option in the list.

Failing that there is another registry edit you can do but see what happens with the suggestions you have so far.

Regards.
MrToM.

Much thanks to both of you, Gedstar and Mr. Tom, for your speedy replies.
I did try to uninstall my Photoshop but part of the way through it said the exe file was corrupted and the uninstaller would not continue.
So,
I just went ahead and installed Photoshop again and I am able to open up jpgs in PS, albeit, not with an "open with" option.

Mr. Tom, what do you mean b y "Go through the same context menu?" I will attempt what you suggested and will report back.
thanks again

Last edited:
Hi again

"I did try to uninstall my Photoshop but part of the way through it said the exe file was corrupted and the uninstaller would not continue."
Sounds like to me you may have corrupt Photoshop installation that's causing the problem, you still haven't mentioned what version you are using the more info you provide the better we can help you!
Hopefully this will help!
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Ged

Last edited:
...MrToM, what do you mean b y "Go through the same context menu?"...
Right clicking in windows brings up a menu....this is called a 'Context' menu, for the reason that its contents change depending on what it is you right clicked on.

You demonstrated that you had already done this so I was just saying to do that same 'Right' click again but instead of stopping because Photoshop wasn't in the list you need to select the very bottom of 'Choose Default Program...'.

Another window will open with a list of programs to choose from.
If you have done this before then previous programs will be in the list.
If windows has an appropriate 'internal' program it too will be listed.
If the program you want to use is not in the list then you have to add it by using the 'Browse' button at the bottom of the window and navigating to it.....in this case to Photoshop.exe in the PS install directory.

Once you have done this the image will open in that application......but more importantly it will now also be in the list the next time you right click a .jpg file and use 'Open With...'

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks again Tom,
This time I went directly through Documents and right clicked on a jpg file. A list of about 7 programs came up in the menu. Just like I was used to.
Fixed.

I also noticed in Control Panel>Uninstall programs>Programs>Default programs>File types> that there is a list of about 100 file types and the means to choose which programs open them.

Thanks so much

Back