What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polygonal Lasso + Brightness = Unwanted Glow

PhotoBurger

Whenever I use the Polygonal Lasso tool lately, and then modify the brightness of the item selected, it creates a "GLOW" around the *outside* of what I have selected. So when I deselect it, there is now this "aura" around the item.

I have gone into all the settings, messed with "Feather" and the 4 or 5 other options and I see no way to eliminate this. There should be no changes outside of the selected item. Yet it seems to be reaching past the selection line just a bit, all the way around.

Examples attached.

Attachments

• 00101.jpg
    00101.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 02019.jpg
    02019.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi Photoburger and welcome to PSG.

Check to see that your feather setting for the tool is set to 0.

Check to see that your feather setting for the tool is set to 0.

I have gone into all the settings, messed with "Feather" and the 4 or 5 other options.

Does it need to be set to zero before I do the tracing? Its still sitting in my photoshop now with the lasso line around the dog, waiting for me to raise brightness again. Feather is set to 0. Still does it when I raise brightness.

Yes, it needs to be set to 0 before the tracing. Why are you using the Polygonal Lasso Tool for the selection?

There should be no changes outside of the selected item.
You're absolutely right, there shouldn't be, and if you've set the 'feather' to zero, turned off anti-aliasing and are not using any 'preset' for the tool then that doesn't leave much else it can be.

Can you provide your workflow and a full screen shot of the UI?

It may be a layers thing or the method you are using to 'brighten' the selection.

It seems odd that the 'glow' is not consistent around the selection which leads me to believe its not the selction itself but rather what you do with it and in what circumstances.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back