What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purge cache in Bridge and PS

kick

Just what happens when the cache is purged? I have several projects unfinished and might need to move around elements that are "hiding" in the canvas. Will a purge remove these???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.17.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.17.39 AM.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 15

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Deleting a cache is irreversible. Do not delete the cache unless you're sure that you don't want to use a previous version of your project. This will not affect saved projects that already have elements in place.

Maybe you should describe what you mean by hidden elements!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your referring to the image of the Wolf that is not showing through the canvas, then I'm not certain................let me see if I can find any info!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tried an experiment. I went to EDIT > PURGE > ALL and it did not affect the "hidden" elements of the image.......

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.39.32 AM.png

kick

You tried the experiment In Bridge and ps? I was gonna purge all. I'm getting nasty messages in Bridge.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why are you wanting to purge your Bridge cache?

Tom Mann

Guru
The cache in Bridge pertains to thumbnails and other sizes of temporary images that Bridge generates and uses internally to quickly display each file in a directory. Deleting or refreshing Bridge's cache does not change the contents of the files being displayed, and hence represented by the cache, only their previews.

If u are still hesitant, just do an experiment yourself. It will only take u a minute or 2 to confirm this.

Tom M

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Along with what Tom stated, the Bridge cache if unmanaged, can occupy huge amount of space on your hard drive.

If your computer is running slow, at the very least the cache should be compacted occasionally. Click on edit/preferences/cache/compact cache.

Tom Mann

Guru
The cache in PS is for somewhat different purposes than the cache in Bridge, eg temporarily saving history states, etc. You can be confident of what Sam stated when u realize that PS's cache is cleared every time you close a file that u have been working on.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IamSam, I'm getting nasty messages in Bridge.

Yes, you have said this already. Why do you want to purge Bridge's cache? Why do these nasty messages bother you? What do the messages say?

kick

Something similar to this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.22.40 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 10

Tom Mann

Guru
Similar, or always exactly that warning? It makes a big difference.

If that's the only warning u received, do what they suggest.

Tom

kick

The only one I'm getting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 12.22.40 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 7

Tom Mann

Guru
As I said before, "If that's the only warning you received, just do what they suggest.".

Let us know if following the suggestion in that dialog box fixes the problem.

Tom M