What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing difficult backgrounds

Scientist

Hi all,

I'm using Photoshop CS3 to prepare images for a scientific field guide (for print). I need to clip out complex images of corals and place them on a black background. I have tried a few different techniques thus far, but haven't had a lot of luck.

Often, the background color is picked up by (or shows through) the corals, further comlicating things like color selection. I need to preserve as much detail as possible without getting a halo or a 'cut out' look....

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few examples of the originals, and an attempt using channels to create a mask:

Bathypathes-patula002.jpgBathypathesPatula1.jpg

B._patula_04.jpg
Antipathes_unk_08.JPG

I think this is past the refine edge option in photoshop I would recomend topaz remask 3 a plugin for photoshop I love it here is a 25 min video but shows it off well

I agree with Hoogleman Topaz Remask 3 is a relatively cheap plug in compared to the price of photoshop and it works right inside photoshop as a filter. It is a great tool to have and compliments photoshop well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Topaz Remask looks perfect for my needs. I'll just have to convince the boss.

Thats exactly what i am struggling with. I solved the problem by getting some hair drawn brushes,but that still leaves the problem with the tree. I found that this could solve a lot of difficult problems. Thanks Bucket

Back