What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing lines from old photo

carlomscalisi

I have this old family photo (attached) that has white lines all throughout it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I could remove the white lines. I was thinking there might be a way to make another layer of the photo and shift it down a pixel or two in order to offset the white lines and fill them in. But I'm not sure if this would work or how to execute it. Or perhaps there's another idea. I would greatly appreciate any help. I'm using CS6. THANKS!!!

Attachments

• DiBenedettoBunch.jpg
    DiBenedettoBunch.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

carlomscalisi

Typically, repeated patterns in an image often yield to a great degree with a FFT filter (Fast Fourier Transform).

Any advice on how to accomplish this in CS6? I don't have the plug-in. Perhaps there's a different way to do it in newer versions of Photoshop, or a Mac plug-in that you're aware of? Thank you for your help, as that does seem like exactly what I need to do!

Tom Mann

Guru
Over the years, there have been quite a few really good threads on this subject (or the closely related subject of reducing half-tone dots instead of halftone lines). It behooves you to scan through these to familiarize yourself with this area:

FFT Plugin for Macs by Dj Joofa being made available
Removal of half-tone pattern from scan of newspaper
Need help getting rid of canvas texture
Improve Scan from poor Quality paper
Photoshop function that eliminates pattern resulting from high-res scan

There is one other commonly used method to minimize halftone effects (whether line or dot) that I know has been discussed in this forum, but I just can find that old thread. In this technique, one determines the periodicity of the pattern in number of pixels in both horizontal and vertical directions. Next, one makes at least two copies of the original image. You displace one of them by half the horizontal period, and the other by half the vertical period. You drop the opacity of the two layers to minimize the halftone effect. Usually, the first copy will be around 50%, and the second copy down to around 33%. This "fill-in-between-the-lines" method should yield a substantial reduction in the halftone pattern. It's a lot like the box blur method, but is a bit more versatile / adjustable.

HTH,

Tom M

I tried one version with Tom Mann's method to displace one image layer 2 pixel horizontally to the right, and one image layer 2 pixel vertically down.
Put these 2 layers on top of the original image and set the blend mode of one layer to "darken", and the other layer to "lighten".
On all 3 layers I added 1 pixel Gaussian blur.

The result looks like this.

DiBenedettoBunch.jpg
before

DiBenedettoBunch chris+.jpg
after

fredfish

Guru
Wish I could bookmark all these good tricks...that's one I will have to remember

I agree there are often great hints and tips.

A couple of suggestions - you can always bookmark the thread in your browser (in Chrome you can set up a specific bookmark folder - and then put your threads in there).
Or you could set up a document in the word processor of your choice (even word pad would do) and keep an ever increasing journal of hints and tips by copying and pasting your favorite ones in to that document. :)