What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing the pole

Lofty1967

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here so I hope I have done it correctly. I have attached an image where I want to remove the white pole, initially I tried content aware but this seems to not be the advised route, more rebuilding the picture, do you have any advice on the way I can do this.
Much appreciated.

Stephen

Attachments

• Maka,-Gordon-&-Friend.jpg
    Maka,-Gordon-&-Friend.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1

Paul

Former Member
Didn't spend to long on it, hope it's ok mate?

Attachments

• Maka,-Gordon-&-Friend.jpg
    Maka,-Gordon-&-Friend.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 74

Lofty1967

Thanks very much for that, can you give me a general outline on how you did it and what tools you used?

Really appreciate your help.

Stephen

Paul

Former Member
Yeah i just made a copy and went at it with the clone stamp, kept adjusting the strength of it to get a finer edge here and there. I then did a bit of painting in on the guitar head with a clone stamp overlay, the chair and the tent roof got a pen tool attack made copies and pasted over the bad parts, then blended edges of pastes with the blur tool set to low, did a couple of layer masks with screen adjustments and a final touch up with the contrast and light.
Hope that makes sense mate.

hawkeye

Guru
I had some time so I did this.. Note the layers panel. Some areas were copied and pasted, such as the chair back and guitar. Other areas were either cloned (foliage, shirt) or painted (arm, canopy) to match.
Taking your time is the best advice, and always use layers for each segment.

Lofty1967

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to both of you for your help. I'm sure I'll need it again.

Appreciated.

Stephen

Burned Ice

Power User
That arm looks a little bit unnatural, not that i can do better, just sayin' :)

Lofty1967

Hi Guys,

Tried to have a go at this yesterday with the clone stamp tool, the dark green at the top was quite easy but doing the light color next too this was very difficult and could not get a match on color, I am also overlapping onto the lighter areas with my dark green, do I need to make selections with one of the lasso tools and then paint in the selected area?

Thanks
Stephen

Paul

Former Member
pen tool create new layer over lay and blend in then clone stamp over to blend - does this make sense?

ibclare

Queen Bee
I have an idea, if you don't mind just a bit of distortion you can more easily fix with the clone tool. Select and delete the pole, move the selections together. I think this will cut down on how much stamping you'll need to do.

I did this to just pull the halves together. Painted out the line distortion down the middle. Used the polygonal lasso for the tent struts and fabric and filled with green (didn't finesse all the edges as you can see). I didn't clone the arm and the guitar remains shortened but if that doesn't matter (and it looks OK to me) there will be a lot less cloning required.

Attachments

• guitarists.jpg
    guitarists.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
i see where your trying to go with this, but - you loose about 10% of the original image. The idea of repairing is to make it as good/near original as possible (doesn't matter how you get there) but to keep the originality is the key.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Yep, well, matter of opinion I guess. I'd just crop it proportionally. It's not the kind of quality, high resolution photo I'd want to spend hours on. And 10% is an exaggeration. But I get what you're saying and I have spent time repairing photos, especially some of those precious old B&W family ones. Anyway, it's not mine to say!

Paul

Former Member
Indeed it is all a matter of opinion and knowing when to say, 'yep thats the best i can achieve, let's hope it is what as been asked for'...

Paul

Former Member
Sadly no, i have owned staffies but never the English bull terrier lovely breed.

Lofty1967

Many thanks for your advice Belial, going to have a go at it this weekend but I am sure I will be back for more help. What do you think about cutting and pasting certain parts of the image?

Paul

Former Member
Thats what i do, if you can use another part of the picture cut and paste it turn it over reset it in place define the edges etc make your wand changes alter lighting and darkening helps to, have a go.
Yes we are all here to help each other no one person as all the answers, but all will help if they can.