What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set a solid background behind an image??

CC268

Alright, this is a stupid question, but I need to create a new background layer, make it brown, and resize the original layer (the image) so the brown background is framing it. I have looked all over and can't figure out how to do this???

iDad

Guru
it most likely depends on the image to be edited can you show us what needs to be edited out?

CC268

it most likely depends on the image to be edited can you show us what needs to be edited out?

I cant post links, I need 4 posts. Its just an image (background image) and I need to create a new background layer that is brown, just to put a small brown border around the image, nothing needs to be edited out

hawkeye

Guru
Set the background color to the brown you want, then Image-Canvas Size click the Relative check box, set the size for the border and hit OK.

CC268

Set the background color to the brown you want, then Image-Canvas Size click the Relative check box, set the size for the border and hit OK.

ok thanks, however I tried that earlier and selected areas with the rectangular marquee tool, added drop shadow and glow and moved it, to give it that puzzle piece look and it didnt look right at all, and I was guessing it was because I didnt create a new background layer, but anyways thanks for your help, hopefully it will work

Edit: In the instructions of my project is specifically says "Create a new background layer using the color of your choice ( A medium brown shown in image (in the book))
"Resize the original layer so it appears to be framed by the background layer."
"Make a rectangular selection, create a layer from the selection. add a drop shadow or outer glow effect, then move the layer"

Those are a few of the instructions, I know how to do the last step I posted, but I am stuck on this background

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
If you want a new backgound layer, first make the original BG layer a regular layer Alt+dbl click the layer. Now hold the ctrl key and click the new layer Icon to put a new layer under the old one. Fill the new layer with brown.

You can scale (edit-transform-scale) the old layer to make the border any size you wish.

CC268

If you want a new backgound layer, first make the original BG layer a regular layer Alt+dbl click the layer. Now hold the ctrl key and click the new layer Icon to put a new layer under the old one. Fill the new layer with brown.

You can scale (edit-transform-scale) the old layer to make the border any size you wish.

it seemed to work! Thanks!

CC268

got the project done, the drop shadow isn't as good as the books picture, but it is decent, the width of the shadow was a bit much, they had a very fine shadow in the picture (looked like a picture taken a part in little rectangular pieces). Anyways, got the job done, thanks!