What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shrinking pictures without getting lots of dirty pixels

torpedox

Hello,

Every time I reduce the size (height & length) of a picture in Photoshop, I get a lot more pixels everywhere. And when I mean a lot, it's really so dirty that I cannot use it !
I don't understand because i've got some pictures from a Canon 40D that are really good quality, about 3800px X 2500px, it says its about 28cm large. If I reduce to 14cm, so half the size, I almost don't recognize the people on the picture if it's a group picture: a face is just composed of a few pixels. But when I send the pictures to a professional to print them on a 10cm postcard, it's perfect as the original, no "pixel-distortion".

I've tried many ways to shrink the picture: image size, free transform, I've tried tiff, jpeg... It's always the same.

- Do you know a good way to shrink pictures without having the "pixelisation" problem, is there some settings to take care off ? Even maybe another software that would do the trick?

I become desperate because I'm working on a Dvd cover and the quality is so poor it would be better with my cellphone and it was shoot with a Canon 40D. I had this problem over and over with pictures from different origins and it's annoying when I have to work on small printout.

Thank you for your help

can you post a before and after of the images?

Use Image-Resize and uncheck Resample Image. The option to alter the pixel dimensions will disappear. Just change the physical dimensions (cm) as you need, then click OK. You will see no change to the open image, but the PPI will have increased and the dimensions will change, but not the pixel count.

Thank you for the uncheck resample image option, the quality is better. When I shrink my picture, on the original file the quality is really good. But then, if I import (file->import) it in another file, the quality comes back dirty. Pixels everywhere. I really don't understand !
I tried to duplicate the layer from the small picture to my "working file" but when I do that, the new layer has the original picture size, not the one after being reduced. Same if I use the selection tool and copy paste... I select my picture that is 10 cm width, I copy paste to a 20 cm width file, and my picture is like 5 times bigger than the 20cm file.... Photoshop has a strange vision of the sizes....

If someone knows a workaround that...

Thank you.

:shocked::shocked::shocked: Aaaaaaaaaaaa run, it's the Signature Patrol. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back