What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Straight line issues...

NeoNirvana

I'm an illustrator and I've recently migrated to PS from Corel Painter due to the latter's production of crap lately. (still don't understand the point of taking away essential features entirely)

Anyway, I'm having issues with, yes, straight lines. I know the bit about holding Shift, but for whatever asinine reason, they only go completely horizontal or vertical... never the direction you're actually going in.

Painter had a nifty little feature since day one covering this, simply pressing V would produce a singular anchor when clicked, and when clicked again elsewhere, would make a perfect line regardless of the direction. Very fast and efficient.

Now the only solution I've found on Google has been a Transform cop-out. Well if you know anything about digital illustration, you know that Transforming every single line you want to be straight is completely not doable.

Surely there must be another way? Some way to remedy the Shift issue?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to PSGurus, NeoNirvana.

Don't remind me Corel's FLOPS.... I hate them for taking useful features away....

No PS in front of me at the moment, so bear with me if my memory fails me.

There are a couple of ways - there's the horizontal or vertical line tools... simply select the pixel width you like in the pixel width field... click and drag.

The second can be used with the paintbrush, pencil, eraser, clone stamp, practically almost all the tools... simply click at your starting point, Hold down the ALT (I hope its ALT), and click at your second point - viola, there's your straight line - up, down, sideways, angled... ala Painter.... lol...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
It's Shift not Alt Vee.

Alt opens the Eyedropper tool
Ctrl activated the Move Tool.

Neo, you don't Shift and drag, you click, Shift, then click an the end point the way dv8_fx said.

NeoNirvana

So Shift worked fine, and now it randomly does not. Nothing changed in the process of it working and not working, I've included the video as example, showing it obviously worked before and does not now. :cry:

hawkeye

Guru
In the brush engine under shape dynamics, it appears you have size jitter set to fade. Change it in the dropdown to either off or one of the pen pressure options if you have one.

NeoNirvana

In the brush engine under shape dynamics, it appears you have size jitter set to fade. Change it in the dropdown to either off or one of the pen pressure options if you have one.

It is set to pen pressure, just like before. That's what is confusing me, because I didn't change anything from the time I made the thick red lines show in the video to the ones that fade out. >_<