What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team photo + member on new layer

geertbro

Hello,
I have taken a photo of a basketball team. 1 person was not present that day and was inserted later in Photoshop.
Cutting him out was easy, but the trouble is the lightning of both pictures was different:
- the skin color of the group is yellowish
- the skin color of the single person is brownish + the red color of his shirt does not match with the red color of his teammates' shirts.

How can I match the skin color of all people (group+single) ?
How can I match the red color of the shirts ?

Big thanks!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
In order for our members to assess the problem could you please upload the photo's?

fredfish

Guru
I agree with Eggy.

Can I also say I am pleased to see a request for info on how to do it rather than just asking for someone to do it. That way we ALL learn something (myself included).

That isn't to say it isn't OK to ask someone to do it - just that it is gratifying to see someone that wants to learn!

Oh - welcome to the forum BTW.

Cheers

John

geertbro

Totally agree: I rather learn it myself of course :)
problem is , the team is full of kids, so I will probably upload it with blurred faces. But the principe stays the same skin + color
Is the JPG enough? Or do you need the PSD?

person : laying in front > different skin/lighting and different red shirt

original.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
geertbro Thanks for the image. Hopefully someone will be along to help you out soon.

Argos

Guru
This is 1minut job just so you can see the tools and a simple example, the hard one on this image is the light i think.

a.jpg

Edit: another thing i do with the image is erase the shadow on his left arm.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
There are a few point in need of correction:

001.jpg

- correct the hard light coming from above in the 'subject layer'. The light in the original layer is more diffuse.
- correct the hard contrast of the subject layer.

In fact you'll have to correct the hard lighting and contrast by 'equalising' the subject.

This can be done by using the filter 'shadows/highlight' in layers-->adjustments and eventually an adjustmentlayer brightness/contrast. It can be done also using raw filter but I'm not that familiar with that technique.
You can also add a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and reduce the contrast.

002.jpg

- To match the shirts color use an adjustment layer hue/saturation while selecting only the red.

- Lose the drop shadow, that is completely wrong. The shadow should be were the object is touching the ground.
Here's a very good tutorial on how to make such shadows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=med_7bUSHpo

003.jpg

- Don't forget to add a very faint reflection of the subject

I had to work with the picture provided by you and quickly.
You'll need to experiment a bit.

original corrected.jpg

Good luck and please come back to show us the result...

geertbro

Absolutely fantastic tips & advice! Thanks Argos & Eggy, much appreciated!

I have a short holiday, after that I will remind myself to post the end-result.
Really : big thanks!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Not bad but the shadow is wrong.
Follow the tutorial which I provided you the link and you'll see that the shadow is in two parts, one relatively hard but small and close to the boy and the second one softer but somewhat larger.
Now it looks like the boy is hovering above the floor...