What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THIS CURRENTLY POSSIBLE?? - Displaying multiple psd inside editor??

camarosource

Not sure how well I can explain this. This is an idea that I would THINK photoshop would have but perhaps I am not aware and have been doing this the HARD way??

* Let's say I am creating a website template which usually consists of a HEADER, FOOTER, (perhaps a LEFT, RIGHT) and a CONTENT center region. What I am CURRENTLY been doing is the following:

Let's say I am working on a Decoder page called Decoder.psd and in order to create the website layout, I create 5 folders in the layers pallete which contain the contents of each region of the layout.

1. HEADER

2. FOOTER
3. LEFT
4. RIGHT
5. CONTENT

Now SURE I can ignore the header, footer... but it makes it MUCH EASIER to work with designing wise when I can see exactly what the finish product will look like in realtime in the same screen. Unfortuntely there is a DISADVANTAGE to this which hense the reason for this posting. If I decide I want to change something in the ie. Header and footer design, I would have to edit each of the psd files individually and basically copy/paste the HEADER and FOOTER layer pallete folders so each of my template pages are updated.

What I am wonder is if there is a way to have say a DECODER.PSD file which only had the contents of the decoder deisgn in the layers pallete, and then be able to SHOW other layer contents (or perhaps just the end result) of another psd file in the design workspace?

Similar to how a FRAME would work in html. You have each layout seperated into individual html files (in this case individual psd files for each part of the layout regions) and DISPLAY other html pages (in this case, other psd contents) in specific areas of the page (In this case the workspace).

This is a feature that SHOULD be in photoshop especially for website designers so I would assume it IS and I am just not aware of??

Thank you!

WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED???????????

I created a Layout.psd and a year-overview.psd.

The layout was to be the layout of the site and year-overview.psd was to be the center page. I opened the year-overview.psd and PLACED layout.psd inside. Clicked the Smart Object to edit it as a new file. Made some changed and saved using "SAVE". I closed photoshop at one point. Opened layout.psd as a standalone and started working on it. Worked on it for 7 HOURS saving every few minutes again with "SAVE".

I then opened year-overview.psd, PLACED the layout.psd inside to see how it looked together and noticed right away the OLD layout.psd was showing (before the 7 HOURS of work done).. I double clicked the Smart Object to look at the file and sure enough it resorted to the OLD version???? I then closed the files and loaded layout.psd again as a standalone and 7 HOURS of work just MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARED and restored itself to the FIRST time I loaded it as a smart object 5 HOURS ago...

I lost EVERYTHING?? I don't remember what I did.. I did SO much work.. Started this at 9 pm and it's now 4:30AM and it's all GONE?!!!!!??!!??!!?!!!

I saved it like 30 times or more in that time just to be sure nothing could be lost along the way and HOW COULD IT LOSE EVERYTHING AND RESTORE TO SOMETHING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OVERWRITTEN HOURS AND HOURS AGO?!?!!!

How can I get this back?????? I check but windows xp doesn't have any other layout.psd in the recycling bin (since it's not deleted and more overwrote).. IS there a way to get it back?? I'm not turning off the computer tonight in case something is lost that could have been restored.. ie.. perhaps temp files..

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Smart Objects are not "links" to external files. They are stored in host psd file. When you place some image as a Smart Object in some host psd file PS creates a COPY of the image and keeps it in the host file. From then on you can access this Smart Object only from PS.

Try searching C:\Temp for psb files...

PHEW!! I don't have a c:\temp.. But found it in a folder in the MY DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS folder.. Anyways.. What you said is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ME so not to have this done again..

Please explain because I am not fully understanding. Let's say I have 2 files:

LAYOUT.PSD
CONTENTS.PSD.

I open CONTENTS.PSD and PLACE LAYOUT.PSD inside.

Now I click the LAYOUT.PSD Smart Object and it loads as a new file. I make edits to that file and FILE>SAVE. Close that LAYOUT.PSD file. Now I only have CONTENTS.PSD file.

1. Are you saying that ONLY the smart object inside the CONTENTS.PSD will reflect those edits?
2. Are you saying that the source LAYOUT.PSD is NOT changed?
3. Are you saying that if I were to DELETE the LAYOUT.PSD SMART OBJECT inside the LAYOUT.PSD that the changes would be LOST because if I were to load original source LAYOUT.PSD as a seperate file that it would NOT contains the actual edits.. And that the edits saved are saved to a COPY made of the source LAYOUT.PSD?

Wow, I just saw your problem and I'm really glad you found the file.
I don't do this often so if I make a mistake I hope SCTRWD or one of our other members corrects me.

Understand you're dealing with 2 open files.
The Smart Object "is" a link to the to the placed file.

For simplicity let's call the files Main.psd and Place.psd.

You open Main.psd then go to File|Place and select Place.psd which shows up as a Smart Object in Main.PSD.
When you click on the Smart Object layer you're brought to Place.psd the second open file and you make your changes.

Every time you make a change in Place.psd and click on "Save" the changes you made in Place.psd they are reflected in the Smart Object in Main.psd.

When your done save both open files and make sure you're saving them to the proper directory.

To camarosource:
Yes to all three.
After you place a file as a Smart Object the original file and Smart Object's content don't relate in any way any more.

To Steve:
When you click on the Smart Object layer you're brought to Place.psb - a copy of Place.psd in Main.PSD, not the original Place.psd.
Every time you make a change to Smart Object and hit save you update the Place.psb - again a copy of Place.psd in Main.PSD, not the original Place.psd.

Smart Objects are just files in a file. When you edit Smart Object PS extracts it's file to a temporary directory(as a psb file) and starts the proper application to edit it. When the application finishes editing, PS updates it's inside Smart Objects's content copy and redraws all it's views in the file. Temporary file may be deleted now, but luckily PS don't do it for efficiency reasons:cheesygrin:

Last edited:

Back