What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

treating a group of images as one graphic?

Wow, more than a few hours I fear.... Do you know, I never even knew I could pull out a guide from edge of the "frame"?

I have thought of one more thing to ask while I have your expertise at hand- I hope it's ok- I wonder if you can tell me if there is an easy way to make a shape like a pulled back curtain? For example, say I have a design like this: Yellow Gingham 800.jpg

Is there a fairly simple way to "cut out" a shape like this? : Curtain 1.jpg

or b_arch_tied.jpg

I don't mean with all the gathers and wavy bits, just the pulled back shape that is slightly outwardly bowed at the top half. If it is too tricky, please do not worry ....

Last edited:
Wow, more than a few hours I fear.... Do you know, I never even knew I could pull out a guide from edge of the "frame"?...
Yeah they are actually pulled from the 'Ruler' so you need to have the Ruler turned on. (Show > Ruler)

You can also HOLD SHIFT while you drag them out too.....it will 'snap' them to the edge of a pixel regardless of your 'zoom' level.

If you don't snap Guides this way you can end up with a Guide midway in a pixel.....if you then try to drag out a selection it will not 'snap' to the guide accurately....in fact it jumps all over the place.

I hold Shift whilst dragging out guides as a matter of habit now....never trust PS!

Unfortunately your images are not showing up and I don't think its because they are pending approval.

Can you check you've correctly 'inserted' them in the post.

Regards.
MrToM.

From my side , where the photos are it says "Attachment 6244.." Maybe they are too large? I will try to EDIT that post, please check again.

Thats better.

Yeah you can easily do that.....you have the shape already in image #2 so you can use that as a template to cut out image #1.

You can either:

1. Drag image #2 into image #1. (Open both images and using the move tool drag #2 into #1)
2. Transform image #2 to the same size as image #1. (Using SHIFT to constrain proportions)
3. Select the white background using the 'Magic wand' tool.
4. INVERT the selection.
5. Turn OFF image #2. (Eye icon)
6. Select the image #1 layer.
7. Add a layer mask.

OR.

1. (Same as above)
2. Use the 'Pen' tool to draw around the image #2.
3. Convert the path to a selection.
4. (As #5 above)
5. (As #6 above)
6. (As #7 above)

The first is easy...the second....not for the feint hearted...both will give you this...

curtains_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

:cry: I have done it again and again and I must be missing out a step because I always end up with a very skinny partial border....

IF you feel up to it, the image is here: View attachment Painted Rose Tile.psd but if not, I completely understand. I will get there eventually. I'm just wimping out for a bit....

Do you mean the width over which the image goes from transparent to opaque?

Have you increased the brush diameter (size) and set its hardness to zero?

The one problem with using the brush is that the width of that transitional period will depend a lot on the document dimensions and is more difficult to get right with smaller images.

There is an alternative but continuing on from the above I notice that your pattern (Layer 2) is almost the same size as the document.

In order to give yourself an easier ride you would be better off making the document big enough to contain the size of border you want...rather than making the border smaller to fit the document.

This has TWO major advantages:

1. It will be MUCH easier to work with and using the brush later may actually be the best option.
2. You'll get a much better result at the end. People tend to get hung up on creating images to the 'exact' size they finally need....this isn't the best practice.

You should always set the document to accommodate the largest image you are using in it...if you have any.....like you do.

This way, your pattern (Layer 2) will be at its best as you don't have to 'transform' it to fit the document.

Once you have finished your project and ready to use it elsewhere then THATS the time to save it out to the size you want....keeping the PSD file safe in case you need to save out to different sizes later on.

I also noticed that your pattern is a little transparent around the edges too.....have you already transformed this?

If so...don't.

Use the pattern as-is or if you need to cut some out then make sure your selection edges do not have any 'feathering' on them. Then adjust the document size (via the 'Crop' tool) to be big enough to accommodate it.....in both width and height. (Allowing for copying multiple times)

Try that approach and see if changing the diameter of the brush tool helps.....if not there is another way to get a graduated edge...not quite as easy but you'll definitely get a good result.

Regards.
MrToM.

I had to give up the computer for a couple days while the daughter has it for homework assignments but I am back now. I will have to practise a bit more with this and see how I do. It is a little difficult for a newbie but I am trying. Thank you again.

No worries.

Just take your time, follow the video, (and subsequent posts), and if you can't see how I did something just ask...I know its not always obvious what I'm doing.

I'm sure you'll be fine though.

Good Luck.

Regards.
MrToM.

Sorry....I did see your other post but just didn't make the connection.

I'll take another look.

Good to hear your 'Curtains' are coming on! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Back