What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Pen Tool to create the letter "O"

General_T

Hi,

As an example lets say I want to create a path using the pen tool to create the letter "O". Can this be done? Meaning how do I get the centre of the "O" cut out?

Do I have to create a circle and then use the marquee tool to subtract from the circle or is there a way to do it all with the Pen Tool?

Tony

Stric9

Power User
Use these buttons to add and remove from the areas affected by the pen tool.3.jpg4.jpg

General_T

Hi Stric9,

Your using a shape vector path, will this work on just a path?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi General_T

The technique pointed by
Stric9 was indeed using the shape tools ans shape functions, like add, subtract, intersect or exclude

If you want to be able to do this process whit the pen tool, you must create the the path of the first or exterior shape whit the pen tool, make a selection and fill it whit color, Then create another path for the interior shape, make a selection of it, and got to the layer whit the previously created exterior shape, and just press the delete key, that will give you a cut out from the first shape.

Hope this helps.

hawkeye

Guru
Just to set the record straight:

It doesn't matter which path you create first. Create two paths, select both and click the exclude overlapping paths icon at the top. Then fill. In this example I made the inside path first, then the outside.

YahyaK

There are MANY way to do this!
One way you can do this is you can stroke the path, select your brush tool then select the "normal" brush get a scale it up (not too this, but not too thin either) then select the pen tool and make your path (a simple "O" shape will do) when you are done making you path, right click, click stroke path, make sure it says "tool: brush" then hit OK and delete the path. YOUR DONE!