What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when merging poster the title text layer changes look of text

I have a poster with several layers of pictures and text. When I merge all the visible layers the top two text layers which happen to be the title of the film change in look. Don't quite understand why this is happening. The two layers containing the title text do have a few blending nodes applied to the text like drop shadow, inner shadow, inner glow, bevel and emboss, color overlay, gradient overlay and stroke.

How do I preserve the look of the text layers when merging all visible layers so as to save out a jpeg or png to bring to print shop?

Rob

Hi crouchingsamurai

Welcome to PhotoShop Gurus

This sounds really weird, can you describe how are you merging those layers?

Try creating different groups containing your layers, let's say a text group, images group, etc. and them flattening or "Stamp Merge" your document, or just visible layers

This may help,
Adobe Photoshop CS5 * Merge and stamp layers

Have you tried the merging each text layer with a blank new layer, then none of the blending options will be effected, If this is what I think it is, this will deffo sort it.

Doesn't work.

Stamp merge or merge with another layer does not work. Still lose the blend options created for the text.

What about using a mask or matte in the background of the text? This seems like a pretty big miss by adobe if photoshop cannot retain it's blend options on text in graphics.

Even if you blend the text layers separate, instead of both together?
What version of Ps are you using?

Photoshop 5.5 or the version that comes in Adobe Production premium CS5.5.

The two text layers have bevel, stroke, shadow and perhaps one or two other blending options set. When I attempt to merge these two layers and the base layer which is a photograph the blending effect that I see changes. I read somewhere that the blending actually does not change because if your looking at your project zoomed out at 8% and then zoom in to 100% the amount of the blend changes due to scaling. I think this is what is happening however it doesn't make artistic sense. Because the whole point of zooming out to 8% or some other number is to be able to see your entire image that your building up. So if you put the blending effects on the text at say 8% and you see it one way why would zooming in change that effect in any way? Because at 8% you are looking at the whole image and setting the effects to your liking. When you merge the layers or merge visible the blend options change quite a lot. Then if you zoom in to 100% you still see the blend options however the amount of those blending options has been dramatically reduced to what your were expecting. This just seems to not make sense. Hopefully I'm making sense on this issue.

Who ever told you that to you was wrong and should imediately remove that info from your brain, as it is no good.
Have you tried rasterizing the text first before adding any blending effects?

Have not tried rasterizing the text first before adding any blending effects. What does rasterizing text do to the text? I've never done that before. Please explain.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Have not tried rasterizing the text first before adding any blending effects. What does rasterizing text do to the text? I've never done that before. Please explain.

Rasterizing the text makes it unable to be edited as text but allows some other effects to be applied and more flexibility. I like to copy text layers and rasterize the copy. I've had the same problems you have been describing, but not always. I haven't paid enough attention to the type and number of effects applied when this occurs. But if I make a jpeg without flattening the document, using the save as, it comes out OK. I don't understand the discrepancy.

ibclare,

So if I understand you correctly, you do not need to flatten the image, or merge visible to save it out to jpeg? I ask because at some point the image will have to merge the layers when saving to jpeg or any file image format because they do not support layers. So wouldn't the text settings still change when you save the image out to jpeg without merging the layers beforehand or not?

Twelvebitstyle

Maybe try a copy merge? select all, command(ctrl)+shift+C, then paste. This would give you a flattened version without having to actually flatten.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I would have to go bck and see again. In fact today I had a drop shadow on an image, not text and when I merged, the shadow almost disappeared. I haven't tried copy-merge, but I did try merge with a layer below and nothing. I'll try the other.

For some inane and to me unknown reason, these things do not happen when PS does the flattening with a save as. At least in my experience, but you/I would have to experiment. It worked fine just a few minutes ago with my drop shadow img issue. But I'll have to try flattening it and copy-merging it myself and see what happens.

jgkab

Hi everyone. I have similar problem that the text "Layer Style" effects disappear/alter when I merge down to the underlying layer below it no matter what kind of layer it is (blank, graphic etc). Merged Down a blank layer on top of the styled one also does not work. Did you find your solution? Anyone? Thanks.

Photoshop 5.5 or the version that comes in Adobe Production premium CS5.5.

The two text layers have bevel, stroke, shadow and perhaps one or two other blending options set. When I attempt to merge these two layers and the base layer which is a photograph the blending effect that I see changes. I read somewhere that the blending actually does not change because if your looking at your project zoomed out at 8% and then zoom in to 100% the amount of the blend changes due to scaling. I think this is what is happening however it doesn't make artistic sense. Because the whole point of zooming out to 8% or some other number is to be able to see your entire image that your building up. So if you put the blending effects on the text at say 8% and you see it one way why would zooming in change that effect in any way? Because at 8% you are looking at the whole image and setting the effects to your liking. When you merge the layers or merge visible the blend options change quite a lot. Then if you zoom in to 100% you still see the blend options however the amount of those blending options has been dramatically reduced to what your were expecting. This just seems to not make sense. Hopefully I'm making sense on this issue.