What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Winterising" people in a Winter picture

DtB19

So, I have a Winter landscape and I'm pasting a couple of pictures of people into it.
The problem is that the pictures of the people were taken in Summer and we look in very rude health, bright and ruddy. I know how to "winterise" a landscape, i.e.: make a Summer landscape look like Winter, but is the any tweak out there to make the people look a tad more cold than in the sweltering 30C in which I took said pictures?

fredfish

Guru
Any chance of seeing even a part of the relevant pictures?

I suspect that there will be a whole raft of suggestion - ranging from curves and levels adjustments through to photo filters and color look up tables, all with some judicious masking.

Without examples the advice can only be of a general nature.

Cheers

John

DtB19

Here you go, John............ Not the best but hopefully you can see what I mean although it's all been reduced to one layer..............Photoshop Guru 1.jpg

Attachments

• Photoshop Guru 1.jpg
    Photoshop Guru 1.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We would love to help you out here. I'm certain that some of our better gurus will jump in to help you out!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Perhaps bleaching the skin color to a very pale blue, add some snow/ice on the shoulders and head and eventually an icicle from his nose...

I noticed your shadow work.
Actually the further away from the person the more blurry the shadows become.
I'm using tilt shift blur to do that.

DtB19

Yeah I can, just wasn't sure if I could post .psd files here
Let's try without the duplication/triplication of my last post....................:rolleyes:

Hmm.... When I try and upload a layered file it tells me I can only upload .jpg .jpeg .gif or .png

Attachments

• Photoshop Guru 1.jpg
    Photoshop Guru 1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

DtB19

By the way Eggy, what is the Mac equivalent of "tilt" for my shadows.........??

DtB19

and I think my latest piccy is still .jpg............ How do I upload a layered piccy?

Sorry but I seem to be having more than one senior moment here................... :cry:

Pipsmom

Guru
Load your layered document to DropBox, then post the share link here so we can open it :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I noticed your shadow work.
Actually the further away from the person the more blurry the shadows become.
I'm using tilt shift blur to do that.
This works well and is adjustable.

You can also convert the shadow layer into a smart object, add a smart Gaussian Blur filter (adjustable), then use the layer mask (added with bur filter) and the Brush Tool to blur/unblur the shadow (also adjustable).

I also want to add that we may need to make some adjustments to the background before we move on to the people.

fredfish

Guru
By the way Eggy, what is the Mac equivalent of "tilt" for my shadows.........??

Tilt Shift blur is not Mac or PC specific - it is a type of blur that was added in version CS6 but became standard in the first incarnation of Photoshop CC. In Photoshop CC and above it appears in the filter menu under the option "Blur Gallery". In CS6 it has its own entry in the filter list.

Have a look here.

http://planetphotoshop.com/using-the-tilt-shift-blur-in-photoshop.html

Cheers

John

DtB19

Have checked your link, fredfish, so thanks for that, but I'm only running CS5 so don't have that Blur Filter as a choice........... :neutral:

fredfish

Guru
Sounds like it's back to the drawing board then................:eek:

I suspected that might be the case as you hadn't heard of Tilt Shift which is why I pointed out when it was introduced.

However look at the reply by @IamSam a few posts back about using Gaussian blur with a smart filter and a mask. That would work easily as well and can be done in CS5 no problem.

If you get into difficulty getting your head around how to do it just ask and we will help.

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
DtB19,

Since you have CS5 and the tilt shift blur filter isn't available in that version, there's no point explaining how to use that filter.

However, like in Photoshop, there are many ways to achieve the same result.

One of them is the method explained by IamSam.

Just keep in mind that a shadow should get more blurry the further away from the object.

Untitled-1.jpg

DtB19

Will try IamSam's method later and see how I get on.

By the way, I don't use DropBox I'm afraid so not too sure what to do about that...............

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You can upload your .psd file the way you do with other formats as long as the file size doesn't exceed 30MB for .psd files.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use Mediafire as a online image/file hosting website................it's free.

If the concept of smart objects seems confusing, it's actually very simple. However it's not the last technique.

This technique is not adjustable.

You can have two shadow layers, one normal and one blurred.
You can add layer masks to both and use the Brush Tool on the layer masks to blend

Example:
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.10.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.10.51 AM.png

You then group the shadow layers, add a layer mask to the group.
Then use the Gradient Tool to fade the shadow.
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.11.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 8.11.39 AM.png

This is not the preferred method since it's not easily editable. Using the Smart Objects is adjustable. When your ready I will explain that..............it's very easy.

We really need your original PSD file.