What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Winterising" people in a Winter picture

DtB19

I'm trying to upload it but it just doesn't seem to want to upload. If I click on the "Insert Image" in this Quick Reply Box it doesn't mention psd formats as uploadable. If I click on the Advance box and try and upload the piccy as an attachment the little circle just goes round and round although the actual file is well below the 30Mb limit...............:banghead:

Oopss it may have loaded. Stand by...............

Attachments

• PG 1802 Versuch 2017 08 11.psd
    6.5 MB · Views: 7

DtB19

Ooooohhhhhhhh Now there's clever............. or not as the case may be.............:giggle:

fredfish

Guru
Yep that worked

Here is a very quick working using the method suggested by IamSam + I added a cooling filter and changed the color balance for the 2 figures (needs a lot more working).

PG 1802 Versuch 2017 08 11 2.jpg

Cheers

John

DtB19

Thanks John. Gives me a good idea. Will play around with it over the weekend as it's part of a picture calendar I do every year and I want to get it to the printers sometime soon..............

Muchly appreciated.:youtheman:

fredfish

Guru
To be honest - IMHO - your cut out figures are possibility cut out too well they look very sharp against the very very slightly softer background.

Just my 2 penneth - but matching isn't just about the colours.

I have been playing a bit more (I hope you don't mind).

I lowered the lightness and saturation on the 2 figures. On the female figure I contracted the selection by a single pixel to get rid of the very slight colour fringing. Then I feathered the 2 figures very slightly to try to soften them without blurring them. I also lowered the opacity of the shadows (and they could possibility handle a bit more)

PG 1802 Versuch 2017 08 11 3.jpg
Cheers

John

DtB19

IamSam - Greatly appreciated and using your method has made the shadows much better, thanks.

Feel free to talk me down in words of one syllable in respect of Smart Objects................:yourock:

DtB19

:thumbsup:
You really won't believe how I cut out my figures as the Pen Tool is just one of the many things in Photoshop I don't know how to use properly so I use a soft eraser set at 10pixels and labouriously "erase" them out of their background............... Yeah I know, but I'm retired so I've time on my hands.......................:rolleyes:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
If a 'cut-out' is too crisp don't use feathering but the blur tool at 20%, small and soft and then go around the edges where needed making them blending better with the background.
With feathering you'll do the whole contour and you'll lose detail in the hair section...

DtB19

How do you "contract the selection" and "feather the figures"??

Yours deep in Dumbness.........

Eggy

Retired Moderator
The first method to soften the contour is with the 'blur tool'

Untitled-1.jpg

The second one, only to use when there are few details like hair is feathering the selection

Untitled-2.jpg

fredfish

Guru
How do you "contract the selection" and "feather the figures"??

Yours deep in Dumbness.........

What I did was to Ctrl + click on the figure of the lady in the layers panel - selects the lady as a selection (Make sure you are already on that layer as well)
Then go to the selection menu and from the "Modify" sub menu select Contract
Untitled-4.jpg
Select a setting of 1 Pixel and apply
Then press Ctrl + Shift + I to invert the selection
Press delete

Now you have trimmed 1 pixel from all around the selection.

Incidentally after I had made the changes to try to make the figures fit in I then did a top layer merge ( select the top layer in your stack and then press - Crtl + Shift + Alt + E this will create a top layer that is a merged version of all the layers below, without affecting the lower layers) and applied a vibrancy boost and a saturation boost to this.

PG 1802 Versuch 2017 08 11 4.jpg

Cheers

John

DtB19

Love it, especially the snow effect on the left of the piccy. Great.
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you but didn't receive any notification and haven't visited the Forum recently:cry: