What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working with "Channels" in Ps CC

JNRYJD

Hi!
Thanks in advance for the help...

Lately our licensors have been sending more and more artwork assets that are in Multichannel mode with spot colour separations and i need to be able to convert it to other formats.
This is great when we send finished art to our suppliers but I need to be able to manipulate the art to suit the product. Especially if i need to add the art as a layer in Illustrator or if i need to convert it to CMYK for hard goods...
I've looked up how to convert channels to layers but it doesnt seem to work with these files. It's as if the file has been locked or something. For example, in the layers palette, there is a single locked black layer that is completely uneditable. I cant unlock it, I cant convert it etc - if i right click on it i have no clickable options. Cant even ad a new layer...
I've tried to convert the image mode to CMYK and even RGB but it changes the colours for some reason, rendering the artwork useless.

I can do a screenshot of the image of course but obviously it's not high-res enough...

So - Im hoping a guru can offer some guidance as to how to make this work :)

Cheers!
Jason
Melbourne

Hello and welcome to PSG.

JNRYJD said:
Lately our licensors have been sending more and more artwork assets that are in Multichannel mode with spot colour separations and i need to be able to convert it to other formats.
In what program are these files being created? What format are they saved in?

A screenshot would help.

They're PSD files set to Multichannel Mode rather than the usual CMYK/RGB etc
Multichannel Mode.jpg

So instead of having working layers it has PMS Colour separation Channels. Ignore the pink - that's just me covering the images etc for legal reasons
Channels.jpg

Back