What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrap Smart Object Around Edges

magnatemedia

Good Afternoon,

I am trying to create a smart object that automatically wraps around corners similar to the attached image. Any help or tutorials would be awesome.

Thanks!

Perspective-1.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been playing with this technique. The big question is................do you want to create an action that will generate this "canvas wrapped" effect on any image................or..............are you looking to create the "Smart Object" mock-up/Template so you can quickly add any image to it and get the "canvas wrapped" effect?

The trick to the wrapped effect is that it's not really wrapped at all. It's just an illusion.

To simplify this illusion, here is a brief explanation.

I took this image....
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 12.05.59 AM.png

.....then used Free and Distort transform to turn it into this.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 12.10.45 AM.png

(Note: There's an old Ps extrusion cheat to do this step, but it would just be confusing so I wont explain it now)

Then I made 9 copies. (Why 9? I don't know..........it just looked right)
I then used the Move Tool to move 8 of the copies down so that they create a faux 3D edge extrusion effect.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 12.47.29 AM.png

The "edge" was hard to see so I added a Curves Adjustment layer to lighten the lower 8 copies.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 12.19.21 AM.png

All that's needed is a drop shadow.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 12.37.20 AM.png

This is basically how the process works. There are some major differences between my simple version and the mock ups. Primarily the extrusion layers are made with actual 3D layers with a 1 pixel extrusion depth. All are smart objects so they are updated when an image is added to the original or top layer.

The simple process may can be automated with an action. The mock-ups don't need automation.

This brings us back to the question of what your goal is for the action.

SCTRWD

Power User
Here is my go:

View attachment 3DWrap.psd

Make your cover as a Smart Object, add copies for sides, transform them as needed and add proper masks.

One small tip: when your manually distorting Smart Object, add some Warp distortion, say Arc, with 0 for Blend parameter and 0.1 for V or H parameter. This way PS won't add perspective to the contents of the object. At least in my PS5.0 this is so.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@SCTRWD Excellent work!

That is a true "Gallery Wrap"! I was going to do something similar but did not want to put the work in until I knew what the OP actually wanted.

There's some work that needs to be done on the shading of the edges but it's an awesome job!

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 8.15.49 AM.png

Last edited:

SCTRWD

Power User
Here is one made with 3D tools
View attachment 3dWrap2.psd

To change cover just open Diffuse texture for 3D box and place new image in the bottom left corner.

You can freely rotate, scale the box with 3D tools.

Last edited: