What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I create an image like this?

MikeTandy

Hey everyone!

New to the forum and had a question!

I wanted to create an image like that attached but didn't know exactly how and didn't know what to look up

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 10.53.44 AM.png

Thanks!

Michael

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Mike and welcome to PSG.

Just letting you know that myself and others are busy trying to re-create this effect, give us some time.

Tom Mann

Guru
The yellow part is trival to do and has been discussed many times on the web: Just put a solid color layer at the top of your layer stack and set it's blending mode to darken, multiply, color burn, or linear burn -- see which effect you like best.

The lines are also fairly easy to do in PS, but if you intend to use this effect a lot and want more flexibility than you can imagine to adjust this effect, just use the "Engraver" plugin from Alpha:
http://www.alphaplugins.com/products/products.php?menu=get_prod_id&prod_id=2

BTW, no, I don't work for them, but I own this plugin and anything I can do to save time at a reasonable cost is usually worth it for me.

Tom M

PS - If you don't want to shell out $$$ for the Engraver plugin, but also want to save a bit of time (at the loss of some flexibility), download the free "Scan Lines" plugin from Rosenman: http://richardrosenman.com/shop/scanlines/ , and do all the usual things to it before you apply it to your image: rotate, mask, overlay with noise to get a more grunge look, etc.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know, is this close? If so, it was fairly easy to do but could be hard to explain!

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 1.16.53 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, multitasking over here!

First off, make sure you copy the original image that your going to use and give the copy a generic name. We need to do this because the following process may damage the image your working with.

Here I opened the image, cropped it, and made some contrast changes. I don't wan't any major highlights because they won't translate well. Merge any adjustment layers you use now.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 2.11.37 PM.png

Now we need to change the image to greyscale. Go to IMAGE > MODE > GREYSCALE. You will receive a few notifications, but not to worry.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 2.11.52 PM.png

Next, we need to apply the lined halftone effect. Go to IMAGE > MODE > BITMAP It will ask about flattening the layers, click OK.

You will now see the 'Bitamp' window below.
I changed the output to 200 ppi and this will increase the size of the halftoned image, but don't worry, you can resize it later.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.02.57 PM.png

Next you will see the 'Halftone screen' below.
I entered 10 lpi (after some experimentation), an angle 0f 60 degrees, and set the shape to line.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.03.34 PM.png

Next we need to convert our document back to RGB. First you need to convert back to grayscale so go to IMAGE > MODE > GREYSCALE, then got to IMAGE > MODE > RGB.

Next, duplicate the image using Cmd/Cntrl + J. Disable the original layer.

Click the 'add layer mask' icon located at the bottom left hand side of the layers panel.

Create a new layer below the duplicate layer and fill it with this color, #f4c743

Select the duplicate layer with the layer mask.

Select your Brush Tool and set the brush to 30% hardness, set the color to black, select the layer mask by clicking on it, and begin isolating your subject.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.27.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.33.35 PM.png

Now go to the halfmoon icon located at the bottom of your layers panel and choose "solid color' adjustment layer. Make it's color #f4c743

Set this layers blending mode to 'darker color'.

You should be done and your image should look like this……

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.40.02 PM.png

Now you can resize your image by going to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE and adjust to your liking.