What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another question already? About masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslane

This is not about layer masks. I call them external masks, but anyway, I once had a good website that explained exactly to apply them and now I can't get that website up. Maybe you can help. I know I have to select all and paste the mask to my image but after that I'm stumped. (layer blend, maybe?) See the attached masks I am talking about and help me if you can.
Thanks,
pslane

Attachments

• ps36.jpg
    ps36.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi pslane

From a quick Google search those images/masks you are showing were all used with PSP (Paint Shop Pro) so the workflow to which you reference may be relative only to PSP.

Rather than try and figure out what you did with an obscure web site that may be defunct with masks that may be meant for a PSP workflow, why not ask what you are trying to achieve and the best way to do so with this images in Photoshop.

Basically all you need is the Lower image you want to show through the black areas, a top Layer which would only show where they were white areas, and they use your mask image as the Layer Mask in the upper Layer in Photoshop. Here is a link on how to copy and paste into the Layer Mask http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-compl...-to-paste-into-a-layer-mask-in-photoshop-cs6/

Much easier than trying to reverse engineer or second guess some obscure defunct website. Just my opinion of course.

pslane

Excuse me, but those masks are jpgs to be used in any software that I have. They came from various websites and are kept in a "masks" folder on my computer. Thanks for the link, it was exactly what I needed.. It did refresh my memory and I plan to keep it saved and bookmarked because it was the answer to my question. I come here for information, help and advice, not lectures.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excuse me, but those masks are jpgs to be used in any software that I have. They came from various websites and are kept in a "masks" folder on my computer. Thanks for the link, it was exactly what I needed.. It did refresh my memory and I plan to keep it saved and bookmarked because it was the answer to my question. I come here for information, help and advice, not lectures.
I'm sorry but I did not see any lecturing from thebestCPU, only help. I also found the same information on the masks you posted.

If help is what you seek here on our forum, comments like this are NOT in your best interest!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Take it easy, @pslane. thebestcpu was pointing out an opinion - honest and harmless - and not by any means a "lecture".

Let's keep things cordial. Afterall, the link he posted helped you out and there's additional helpful information for you to digest in what he said.....

pslane

Okay I admit "lecture" was not the right word and I apologize for that.

You see, when I use Photoshop, I gather and save all the resources I can find that I might need one day. Amost anything can be used in Photoshop, even if it has to have a file conversion or whatever.I would never have attached the masks files but I needed to be sure you understood it was not layer masks I needed info on.
The link I was given was really all I needed. Somehow it ended up with my being made to feel like I had crappy files not suitable for Photoshop. BTW I got most of my masks while a member of a really good Photoshop class and that's where I got the website, showing how to copy/paste them. I am not sure the website is "defunct" and I feel sure the PS class is still around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.