What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple wwdc invite 2011... Curved wall of images in 3d? How do i do it in photoshop?

andythefiredog

Hey everyone,

New to this forum but pretty proficient in photoshop for self-taught.

I've figured out everything I've ever needed to do in Photoshop and Illustrator on my own, but this one has me stumped!

I'm familiar with warping and the other free transform tools, but can't piece this one together...

Assuming I have a grid of icons equally sized and spaced, how can I make my image curve in 3d with perspective, like in the attached image?

Thank you very much everyone!

Attachments

• wwdc-2011-invite.jpg
    wwdc-2011-invite.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 38
Re: Apple wwdc invite 2011... Curved wall of images in 3d? How do i do it in photosho

Anyone, please? Is this that difficult or impossible to do in PS?

Thank you!

Re: Apple wwdc invite 2011... Curved wall of images in 3d? How do i do it in photosho

Bump. Any help from anyone would be much appreciated...

Sorry Andy, you've been her a while without an answer.
I played with this for a while but I'm a photographer not a designer
I can't accurately duplicate the effect.

I does look to me like this is several different images merged together, very roughly indicated below.

apple.jpg

Just from the top of the head...
You can use 3D tools in PS to get this effect. Just make a folding plane with Repousse and put your texture on it. Play with the settings like Field of View of the Camera and DOF: Blur, distort the texture to get the look you want, etc.

This is a guess but I would think it starts as Steve says then uses liquify to achieve the curved feel.
1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpgsame image after using liquify. Then when it is clipped inside the apple and you cant see the edges it really gives the 3d feel. Not the best illustration but you get the idea.

Just from the top of the head...
You can use 3D tools in PS to get this effect. Just make a folding plane with Repousse and put your texture on it. Play with the settings like Field of View of the Camera and DOF: Blur, distort the texture to get the look you want, etc.

Everyone, thank you SO MUCH for the input!

I've tried the liquify tool and it seems to be a little to "hands on" of a tool for the accuracy I need. Having looked at the repoussé tool, that seems like more what I need with control buttons and precision settings. I need this to look very similar.

The issue I'm running into is I have no idea how to go about creating this folding plane, nor how to apply it to anything other than text (any image layer I select, the repoussé tool becomes unavailable).

The concepts are very clear to me and I'm familiar with 3D manipulation, but I've never seen an implementation like this

Any more helpful tips (especially SCTRWD)?

Thanks!

Can you do a shape like this?
LShape.png
it's easy: make rectangle shape, subtract another rectangle with rounded corners.
Now 3D->Repousse->Selected Path...
LShapeRepousse.png
You can even try something different:cheesygrin::
Torrus.png

But now I think you don't need this all:cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:
Your image can be done just by carefull Transform Warp. Make the source image s Smart Object before so you can adjust Warp or source later if need be:cheesygrin:

Good luck!

Back