What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,

I am currently working on a texture for a turtle that will be used on a model in 3ds Max. I am a moderate to expert level user of Photoshop, in my own opinion, but still have much to learn.

My question today is this. Is there a way to create an image and then use the brush to recreate it randomly over and over again on a canvas? This question is in regards to the scales I am making for the turtle texture. The brush has a whole slew of tools for changing the size, orientation, and scattering of the brush so I was wondering if it is possible to use my scale image with it somehow?

I have attempted to use the pattern stamp tool but it spaces them so far apart and there is no control like you get with the brush tool. For now I will manually place them, but I am still curious if what I want to do is possible and would appreciate any help.

I am using Photoshop CS3.

Regards,

Frank

Hey $1r_M4x1mu$, thanks for the response. However that answer will not work. The reason being is I want to duplicate the small image as is with its color and all the same. The only thing I want to be different is rotation and scale. Unfortunately to create a custom brush you have to use a B&W image for best quality, I have done this before.

So I am seeking a method to duplicate a small image, such as a scale, randomly throughout an image.

I don't think PS brushes can do what you ask for. But pattern fill might.... Tho I've never tried it on a turtle scale..... lol.... so I don't know whether the outcome will be to your liking. And you may have to create it like a tiled image.....

Hey there dv8_fx. From what I have seen of the pattern stamp tool, though I will be honest and state I have never used it before, it lacks the customization that brushes can get. From all I can tell the pattern tool just repeats the pattern over and over without any variation whatsoever. If I am wrong on this I would be overjoyed to hear about it and be taught otherwise.

Cool image for your profile btw.

Hey there dv8_fx. From what I have seen of the pattern stamp tool, though I will be honest and state I have never used it before, it lacks the customization that brushes can get. From all I can tell the pattern tool just repeats the pattern over and over without any variation whatsoever. If I am wrong on this I would be overjoyed to hear about it and be taught otherwise.

Cool image for your profile btw.

Avatar LIZAD?.... my mischivous PSG mascot.... lol

There's only one way to find out.... Experiment time..... Will this scale do as our test subject?

View attachment 3734

Unfortunately, as expected, there isn't a way to control the size variation in the pattern. Be it Brushes ( even worse ) or Clone tool.

As an idea, I used the warp tool to get that variation on a tiled image of the pattern created with the clone tool and this is what I got.....

View attachment 3735

But I doubt whether this would be useful in your max model.

Now I haven't really experimented much with the 3D capabilities of CS..... whether a texture can be created from the object files of a 3dmodel.

Hawkeye... if you're there, bud..... is it possible?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as expected, there isn't a way to control the size variation in the pattern. Be it Brushes ( even worse ) or Clone tool.

As an idea, I used the warp tool to get that variation on a tiled image of the pattern created with the clone tool and this is what I got.....

View attachment 3735

But I doubt whether this would be useful in your max model.

Still a cool affect if your are mimicing the shell. Did you tile it by hand?

Back