What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating transparency within a solid color

Tylers86

I have a super simple idea, that I just dont know how to create. Im taking a long rectangle, adding a solid color to it, and would like to add a thin line of transparency within a selected area of the solid color. Ive tried using shape layers and can get those filled, but I want the transparency checkers to show within the thin line that I create with the shape layers.

Tylers86

Thanks for that.

I meant transparency checkers as n the pattern that indiciates transparency.

PStransline.jpg

THe teal line in the image is where I would like to create transparency within the selection, essentially dividing the rectangle into two equal triangles. And, if I am not mistaken, the transparency pattern would become visible where the thin line selection is.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I hope I got you right on this one...

From what I could see from your example, you don't have to use the a shape mask. You can, but not necessarily.

What I did here is create a 500x300px document, fill layer with first color, used the line tool with a weight of 3 pixels in second color on a second layer, CTRL +click 2nd layer icon to select line, and deleted the selection from the first layer...... now you either hide the second layer or lower the opacity to reveal the background checker board.

now if you don't need color for the line, simply create the selection on the first layer with the line tool and delete the selection exposing the transparency checkerboard.

View attachment 3975

hope this is what you're looking for....

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
Create your yellow layer and make sure it's unlocked.
Go to shapes, you have 3 drawing options (the first three options on the left of the tool bar) and select paths, the middle one.
Draw your diagonal line, then then control enter makes it a selection.
Then delete the selection with Edit|Clear.

That should do it.

ss.jpg

Tylers86

You guys kick ass, thanks a ton for the advice. I ran into a little road block following your method Steve, doing an Edit>Clear wouldnt allow transparency to show but I eventually got it! Going to add some texture to the solid now and Ill post up some results. Thanks!