What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boyd47

Hello everyone
There is an app on iphone that allows you to do patterns on your image. The app is called "fragment" This app is only available on iphone. If this was something I wanted to do on photoshop how would it be done? Or is there any similar app (on computer) that allow me to create something like this?

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 10.22.40 PM.png
Thanks in advance

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are many easy ways to do this effect in Photoshop. One is with the Rectangular Marquis Tool, the Move Tool, the Crop Tool, and some guide lines.

Place you guide lines evenly across the original.
Highlight the original layer, make a rectangle, Command/Control + J to copy the strip to it's own layer.

Go back to the original layer and repeat on the next strip.

When done, select the Move Tool and stagger the strips up and down using the directional arrow keys.

Use the Crop Tool to crop the final image.

boyd47

There are many easy ways to do this effect in Photoshop. One is with the Rectangular Marquis Tool, the Move Tool, the Crop Tool, and some guide lines.

Place you guide lines evenly across the original.
Highlight the original layer, make a rectangle, Command/Control + J to copy the strip to it's own layer.

Go back to the original layer and repeat on the next strip.

When done, select the Move Tool and stagger the strips up and down using the directional arrow keys.

Use the Crop Tool to crop the final image.

Thank you Sam, I will try the steps. I have very little knowledge in photoshop as i mostly use lightroom for editing pictures and I don't do any other work. I will try to figure out the steps you mentioned and hopefully it will work. Is there an online tutorial with a video that shows how something like this is done?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking for one, but haven't found one yet. I could have sworn I had seen one. I made a tutorial on a similar effect.........let me see if I can find that.

boyd47

Here is the tutorial I made for a similar effect. It's a bit more involved in that I used templates..........but it may help you to understand the process a bit better.

The steps I describe in post #2 are much easier to do.

Great! thank you. I will give it a try tomorrow.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I made you a quick video!

I left out one important step from the video.

Before you get started, go to VIEW > SNAP TO > GUIDES
Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 12.46.35 AM.png

Pause often as it gets fast in some areas!