What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I copy one section of the picture to paste on a new image?

ashley1

I want to copy the foreground (the lettering) of this image and paste the lettering to a new image. Also, how would I place the words underneath each other?

lgo2.png

Thank you! =)

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ashley1, since you have the lettering on a separate layer, just drag and drop the text to the new document with the Move Tool.

Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 2.23.54 PM.png

As for moving the text.
In your new document, make a selection of the "Kards" text.
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 2.29.08 PM.png

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the selected text to it's own layer.
Use the Move Tool to move it where you want it.
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 2.29.26 PM.png

Choose the original layer.
Again, make a selection of the "Kards" text.
You can use a layer mask to remove it or just hit delete.
Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 2.30.01 PM.png

ashley1

Thanks! :) When I try to move, it just moves the whole image. How to get them on separate layers? Did I mess something up? Every image I have for this is now (somehow) is on 1 layer... :(

peta62

Guru
Thanks! :) When I try to move, it just moves the whole image. How to get them on separate layers? Did I mess something up? Every image I have for this is now (somehow) is on 1 layer... :(

Ooops you have to work with layers, especially if you plan to do something with particular parts. I would select the lettering ( it seems magnetic lasso should be the right tool ) and wipe out all the rest. Of course either duplicate layer before or copy the picture if you want to preserve the original.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
peta62 I know you may have came in on this thread concerning this banner kind of late, but I have already provided ashley1 with the best possible solution to the problem. As I pointed out in post #4, all ashley1 needs to do is to go back to the the ORIGINAL thread where she uploaded the ORIGINAL file that has the lettering on separate layers.

Better yet! Why don't I make it even easier and upload the file here!

View attachment lgo.psd

As you can see the ORIGINAL file has the lettering on it's own separate layer!
Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 9.54.52 AM copy.png

With this ORIGINAL file, ashley1 can now follow the instructions I provided in post #2.

peta62

Guru
@peta62 I know you may have came in on this thread concerning this banner kind of late, but I have already provided ashley1 with the best possible solution to the problem.....

I am sorry, I went through everything written, but overlooked the link, so I thought everything was in only one layer.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
.....I thought everything was in only one layer.
Your thought was correct. She has somehow merged her layers together. Which is why I directed her back to her original file she uploaded in which they are separated.

ashley1

IamSam Thank you! I'm so glad I had another one!! :) Thank you. Is there a way to make 3D again? Like Eggy did...
peta62 Thank you for the suggestion. I'll remember that in the future if it happens again.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
@IamSam

Well Sam I downloaded the PSD once again and made the adjustments the OP asked for.

There are two versions, one with the two words with their own vanishing point and one with a combined vanishing point, so @ashley1 can choose.

Ketchum Kards 01.png Ketchum Kards 02.png

Last edited: