What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to cut an image from a white background and place on a black background in PS?

coffee_king

Hi there
I seem to be having problems when I lasso round a specific part of a photo taken with a white background and then try to add that part of the image to a plain #000000 black background.
I always seem to get a white outline around the image when I place it on the black background, even when its on ZERO feathered.
I dont like using feathered as it adds a smudge round the outside of the image.
Any ideas how I can sort this to avoid the white outline?
Or is it possible to feather with black?

Re: How to cut an image from a white background and place on a black background in PS

Use lasso tool then right click layer via cut, click move tool move to new image re size to preference no white edges mate.

Re: How to cut an image from a white background and place on a black background in PS

Maybe upload sample here? Seems that i have low imagination.

Use lasso tool then right click layer via cut, click move tool move to new image re size to preference no white edges mate.
This is what I'm doing, and I get white edges as the edges of the image I'm using are brightly lit.
I'll try to upload an example.

Make sure the feather setting is at zero:)

Attachments

• lasso-cut-out.jpg
    lasso-cut-out.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 20

Hi
I have used the pen tool to draw around the image which came from a white background and have put it on a black background, with ZERO feathering but it doesnt look great as you can still see the whiteness.
Any suggestions?
example-cut-out.jpg

Now show what you cutted :)

That's a joke and unnecessary because i see white apears in several places but not with all selection, so it's pathing accuracy question.
Just correct path you made with pen tool (drag some points of it more inside man figure).

P.S. Nothing wrong to selection tool itself i mean.

Now show what you cutted :)

That's a joke and unnecessary because i see white apears in several places but not with all selection, so it's pathing accuracy question.
Just correct path you made with pen tool (drag some points of it more inside man figure).

P.S. Nothing wrong to selection tool itself i mean.
How far in on visible pixels do you suggest I select into the image?
I'm working on this at zoom 400%
Thanks
Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 12.27.44.png

How far in on visible pixels do you suggest I select into the image?

Up to you actually. Personally i do it visually. Like if i path that thing with that zoom, i'd take about 1-2mm (visual) from border.
It's more looking not how far but on color which will be left. So where white ends and brown is stabil color.
No need to be super acurate, as i said, you can correct path after it finished and you see where is some background still showing.

You can do what senior as requested i do that myself but i then smudge out the edge pixels with a large standard brush it compresses the edges so to speak, try it.

Back