What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to remove / change feather option AFTER closing lasso on Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee_king

Hi there
Ive just spent 20 minutes polygonal lassoing round an image and after I'd closed the lasso shape I found I'd accidentally set feather on 34 rather than 1 (God knows how I did this).
Is it possible to remove the feather option at this point, or better still change it to 1, or am I going to have to re-lasso it all again?

I've tried adjusting the feather number but that doesnt do anything.
Any help?
Thanks!

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Re: Is there a way to remove / change feather option AFTER closing lasso on Photoshop

i think pressing cntl+z should still give you the selection without the feather then you just change the feather, if not i think re lassoing is the only way

coffee_king

Re: Is there a way to remove / change feather option AFTER closing lasso on Photoshop

i think pressing cntl+z should still give you the selection without the feather then you just change the feather, if not i think re lassoing is the only way
CNTL+z just undoes the entire lassoing.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator

ah fack usually cntrl Z just undoes the feathering without getting rid of the lasso :/

SeniorS

Guru

CTRL+Z does undo feather. Look at History panel, Feather apears there so it's undoable.
But if you want to set feather to 0 after sometime, like after some curves etc. then it's imposible without loosing previous steps.

But of course there is some tricks.

First one. If Feather are still in History panel and you don't want to loose some "things" done to image.
1. Dublicate Image (Image/Dublicate...)
2. Go back to original image and go in History panel to one step above Feather.
3. Save selection.
4. Copy or load that selection to dublicated image.
Now you have image with everything done to it and selection without feather. Can close original and save dublicate over it.

Second trick. If Feather not aviable in History. This one can be not perfect.
1. Save selection.
2. Choose selection channel in Channels panel.
3. Take Curves or Levels adjustment and adjust contrast to maximum. With Levels that would be input in "Ajdust Shadows Input Level"=127 and in Highlights=129.
4. Load that selection (alpha channel).
Now it close to original selection, not quite antialiasing but feather 0.

After using one of this trick. Set feather which is needed.

JgraphNet

Power User

Hi there
Ive just spent 20 minutes polygonal lassoing round an image and after I'd closed the lasso shape I found I'd accidentally set feather on 34 rather than 1 (God knows how I did this).
Is it possible to remove the feather option at this point, or better still change it to 1, or am I going to have to re-lasso it all again?

I've tried adjusting the feather number but that doesnt do anything.
Any help?
Thanks!
Perhaps this is more simple:

Select -> Modify -> Feather ... or even more simple: Shift+F6

Type in the Feather ammount you need in the dialog that appears ...

No ? :)

SeniorS

Guru

Perhaps this is more simple:

Select -> Modify -> Feather ... or even more simple: Shift+F6

Type in the Feather ammount you need in the dialog that appears ...

No ? :)

No :)

At least i couldn't. If feather is set to 20 for example there is no way back to 0 except history. You can make feather bigger but not smaller by that command (or i miss something fundametal).

coffee_king

CTRL+Z does undo feather. Look at History panel, Feather apears there so it's undoable.
But if you want to set feather to 0 after sometime, like after some curves etc. then it's imposible without loosing previous steps.

I'm using a mac and CS3 and all CTRL+Z (Or CMD+Z in my case) does is undo.
The word FEATHER does not appear in the history panel just LASSO

coffee_king

No :)

At least i couldn't. If feather is set to 20 for example there is no way back to 0 except history. You can make feather bigger but not smaller by that command (or i miss something fundametal).
Doesnt really work, but its interesting to see this feature nonetheless.

SeniorS

Guru

The word FEATHER does not appear in the history panel just LASSO
Have you set History States to 1 in General Preferences? Because i'm on CS3 on PC and on MAC, feather apears in history!
history.jpg

coffee_king

Have you set History States to 1 in General Preferences? Because i'm on CS3 on PC and on MAC, feather apears in history!
View attachment 7298
History States to 1? On my system all that does is only let you see and change the last ONE thing youve just done.

Maybe we're getting confused here, are you adding the FEATHER after?
As in Select -> Modify -> Feather
and thus able to see Feather in history? As I can see it in hsitroy by doing this.I'm mostly on about FEATHER already having a number on it as you draw with the lasso tools.Then all you see is 1 history with the word Lasso. (This is with regards to feather removal BTW)

SeniorS

Guru

Ahh...i see. That one feather will not apear in history. That "auto" isn't best thing in PS unless you need to make complicated selection which contains several feather at one moment. Otherwise better set that to 0 and decide later how much feather you actually need.

But for already used try second method i gived.

zopfan

Ahh...i see. That one feather will not apear in history. That "auto" isn't best thing in PS unless you need to make complicated selection which contains several feather at one moment. Otherwise better set that to 0 and decide later how much feather you actually need.

But for already used try second method i gave.

I know that I'm very very late in replying to any body in this thread. But still, google pointed me here and here I am :).

I went through the question/answers and found that nobody perhaps understood 'FULLY' what the original questioner meant. (Not that I'm very intelligent and you're any less!). I think he wanted to say that before he started making any selection, there was already filled a value of 34 in the feathering field of the options bar. And so the same can't be there in the 'Undo History Palette'.

And all the answers kept revolving around this theory that why the same isn't there in the undo history!
Still this thread has given my some new insights! Thanks!

hawkeye

Guru

I just saw this and actually there is a way to reduce the feather after the selection is made. Use Refine Edge and set the Contrast adjustment to 100%. Depending on the amount of feather it may need to be applied more than once. And too the selection may need to be adjusted afterwards through the modify function.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0

zopfan

I just saw this and actually there is a way to reduce the feather after the selection is made. Use Refine Edge and set the Contrast adjustment to 100%. Depending on the amount of feather it may need to be applied more than once. And too the selection may need to be adjusted afterwards through the modify function.

Thanks. But this is more of a work around than a built in command. I was more interested in knowing if Photoshop has some option which allows us to achieve that.
2nd, if in the beginning on the options bar, the feather is set to zero. But later thru 'Selection' menu, we change the feathering, can we increase/decrease the same later?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Just a thought......
I would cheat. I would convert my shape/selection into a smart object and add a blur. The blur can easily be changed at any time.

One is blurred and one is feathered. Which is which?

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.47.48 PM.png

Just a thought.

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 9.47.48 PM.png

PsCC update: With any of the Lasso Tools, you can now choose "select and mask", then feather the selection.

hawkeye

Guru

Thanks. But this is more of a work around than a built in command. I was more interested in knowing if Photoshop has some option which allows us to achieve that.
2nd, if in the beginning on the options bar, the feather is set to zero. But later thru 'Selection' menu, we change the feathering, can we increase/decrease the same later?
Photoshop has no built in command.

Status
Not open for further replies.