What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Copying A Text Layer on multiple areas on the same PSD?

DJwa163

Question:

I need to live-Copy a Text Layer on multiple areas on the same PSD.
For example take a look at the sample image (attachment):
The same caption forms the background. My target is to change all of it by editing the master layer..,
(and all salve layers with their own formatting will change by themselves)
PC: judesen

Lets consider a scenario that: I want to turn all these "draw a pixel" to "run a mile"
And I need to do it once for all. i.e. by changing the single original text layer which at the moment reads "draw a pixel"
g.jpg

I know there's an alternative approach to solve the problem by inserting linked smart objects, but that will need an external file everytime. I want to keep it local.

Solution:
Replied with wonderful illustrations by MrToM:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No need to link anything....just convert the text to as many smart objects as you need and then individually transform each one as required.

As the text is identical apart from its size, transforming is all you need, and if you change the original text then all the text will change.

The only problem you could run into is that of size. If the 'new' text doesn't fit into the same 'space' as the original then you may find it'll be cropped at each end. The smart object will be exactly the right size for its contents so as long as you stick to that you'll be fine....the text is completely editable anyway so lots of options to get a good 'fit'.

You could of course expand the canvas to make sure it fits but you'll have to allow for the wider text back in the main file.....either that or transform everything again to make the wider text fit....not recommended.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

DJwa163

Need a time-saving way... Individual modification won't help much

Thanks for your swift reply.
Yes, the text is absolutely identical. That's why I was trying to find a time-saving way to edit/change them all in a single click.

The method you suggested is good, but it changes just the first smart object (which was obtained from converting the original text).
So, to change the entire background, I have to start with all of those 32 text elements, and convert them one by one (32 times)...

That's actually not saving any work...

Please correct me if I got it wrong.

Could a single text element be converted to 32 smart objects? Is there a smarter way?
Please suggest

How could I live-clone text layers? Into multiple smart objects/rasters that would change automatically when the text changes.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
1. Create your text layer.
2. Duplicate that layer....just for safe keeping.
3. Convert the upper most of those two into a smart object.
4. Transform it as you need.
5. Duplicate that smart object...the easiest way to do this is HOLD ALT, Click the layer and DRAG UP (Till you see two parallel lines above the upper layer)....then DROP.

DO NOT USE...

Right click.....New Smart Object via Copy...

This will duplicate the smart object BUT as a COPY...not an INSTANCE.

6. Transform the duplicate. Its a smart object so it doesn't matter if you transform it bigger...(Up to its original size).
7. Repeat this 'Drag duplicate' and transform procedure for however many times you need.....you can always use a duplicate layer for text of equal size...

I've done this [roughly] in no time...

smart_text_MT_001.png

...its just duplicates and transforms...nothing complex.

Regards.
MrToM.

DJwa163

Thank you.
This was an excellent tutorial,
It worked and indeed helped a lot.

Thanks you once again. Real guru..

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Sorry its not a 'One Click' solution but sometimes you just have to put the work into it.

There may be quicker alternatives but this is what came to me first.

Regards.
MrToM.

DJwa163

This was indeed an excellent solution.
A few clicks will do! No problem at all.

Now I realize the whole pint: It cannot be with the clones of text-layers, but the clones of smart objects....
That was really a smarter idea to deal with the smart objects...!

Thanks

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

...just watch the spacing when you edit the smart object.

Here is my layers panel.....text layer at the bottom, duplicate text converted to Smart Object, Group of Smart Object 'instances'...or clones.

smart_text_MT_002.png

To change the text I just double click the 'Original' Smart Object and all the 'clones' in the group change with it....but they are all still individually 'editable' as far as transforming is concerned.

Regards.
MrToM.